Sussex /Kent people warning

juliehannah58

Visit site
2 yards in East Sussex are now under isolation as Equine Herpes had been confirmed in a number of horses. I'm not yet sure of the type of herpes, but lets hope it's not the serious one.

I think I remember a flare up of this in this area a few years ago, just thought I'd warn people to be vigalent when out and about.

juliehannah58

Visit site
Both of the yards are all of a stones throw away from me, times like this I'm so glad I have my own little place. At least I know it's my doing if something gets in! lol
smile.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
One is in Westfield and the other near Rye, there could be more, I only know of these as one of my friends horses is in an affected yard and the vet told her she'd just seen a case in the other village.

juliehannah58

Visit site
Taken from website:

Equine herpes Virus
EHV exists in several forms and EHV-1 and EHV-4, sometimes called "The Cough" or "The Virus", are known to be involved in causing respiratory problems and are also believed to be immunosuppressive - they not only cause disease but may also lower the horse's ability to fight off other infections.

SYMPTOMS
Clinical signs of EHV infection can include

High temperature - commonly above 39.4C (103F) and sometimes as high as 41C (106F).
Watery nasal discharge which becomes muco-purulent.
Ocular discharge in some cases.
Sub-mandibular lymph nodes becoming firm and enlarged.
Coughing -usually less harsh than with equine 'flu.
Loss of appetite.
Depression and lethargy - with horses standing dejected, head down.
Broncho-pneumonia due to secondary infections.
Viral pneumonia - particularly in young foals.
Abortion storms (EHV-1) and sporadic abortions (EHV-4) in some instances.
Paralysis, ataxia, recumbency - all linked with EHV-1.

CONSEQUENCES OF INFECTION
The consequences of EHV are wide ranging and serious, including:

Repeated infections - natural immunity is short lived and typically no more than 2-3 months.
Sub-clinical disease - particularly common in older horses.
Carriers - with recurrence of latent virus when horses are stressed - and, therefore, further spread in infection.
Long-term, non-specific immunosupression - reducing horses' ability to respond to other infectious agents and vaccines.

They are waiting for bloods to confirm which strain it is, although I don't think it's EHV1, as they horses just seemed very down and didn't want to move around much.

Wait and see I guess, I'll update once results are confirmed.

airedale

Visit site
and like equine flu there is a jab available to protect against EHV.

Like strangles jab it needs to be given every 6 months

when you read those details on the disease it's worth considering having the jab if you are out and competing.

everything that goes out competing here is jabbed for both strangles and EHV

Halfpass

Visit site
Thanks for the warning. My boy was poorly the other night and its so worrying with all these viruses etc going round. Luckily it turned out to be mild choke which he managed to clear before the vet arrived!