Swan neck stable fronts

CraneHillbarn

New User
Visit site
We are building some internal stables and currently considering the 'swan neck' type stable fronts. I am interested in peoples' experience of this type of stable - thanks

Gingerwitch

Visit site
By this do you mean horses have to manoeuvre round walls ?
Last yard had really tight manoeuvre s to get in and out. Fine up to 6 6 horses..... after that it was a nightmare. Anything really big would catch itself on the way out.

chocolategirl

Visit site
We are building some internal stables and currently considering the 'swan neck' type stable fronts. I am interested in peoples' experience of this type of stable - thanks
I have these on my livery yard, they were more expensive than the usual style, but for the short amount of time our horses spend inside, I wanted their stables to feel less like a prison as possible ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
They look lovely.... only thing with bars is.....some owners put boots on them and head collars etc so it depends how OCD you are.
And I once had to release a horse whom was cast and his hoof was trapped in the bars. Thank God he was such a good boy but I nearly got a broken skull releasing him.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I really like open shape at the front, but yes a couple of stables with top doors for potential idiots is a good idea too! But I hate bars and would want solid walls. Had a horse get a hind leg stuck through bars. I don't know how he didn't break the leg. But less of a problem if bars are substantial and more closely spaced... the bars that featured in my story were closely spaced but thin enough to bend when his hoof hit.

Green Bean

Visit site
I like this option as my horse is a nervous nelly and if someone raises their hand walking past her, she jerks her head up, so not having a top bar would be ideal. I have had to install a pool noodle cut in half lengthways to avoid imminent brain damage. It has worked well though as her ears feel the noodle before she jerks back too hard so she hasn't hit it much

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I really like that type of stable.

If you are fitting a whole yard though I’d install one or two more traditional types, just incase you get twits in that need top bars closing to stop escape attempts
this
I've had to turn down a few yards because of this :( though they are lovely for many horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We have theses except ours are fully curved including the doors a shallow U shape I love them they give a lovely open feel .We do have one stable that can be blocked in.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Im a big fan of these types of stables - horses get more ventilation and can see more without fighting with their next door neighbour plus they look really pretty

That's my thought, too. Where I ride, horses are in individual boxes, some of them insist on reaching out to grab hold of anything left on a hook or saddle rack within reach. There are a few who need to be put in carefully chosen boxes, or they will fight with their neighbours.

loz9

Visit site
We have them & I love the openness to them. When we installed them we had to have the iron work specifically made as the block work wasn't exact & the addition of the triangle between each stable wasn't something available 'off the shelf'. It also meant the bars could be spaced much further apart so if a horse put a hoof through the bars it would come back out easily. This design completely stopped my horrendous weaver at the time as he couldn't find the 'end' to his swing & just gave up!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1614102966217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614102966217.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
  • FB_IMG_1614102955513.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614102955513.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 40

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I really like that type of stable.

If you are fitting a whole yard though I’d install one or two more traditional types, just incase you get twits in that need top bars closing to stop escape attempts

Took me a little googling to find what I knew I had seen, but if someone wants to combine both open, and a few closed, then from an aesthetic point of view, I think it would look better if the open stable fronts was combined with something closeable like this:

tegel_197833593.jpg

Rather than this:

boxe-chevaux-9.jpg

Also can't resist sharing this picture I happened to come across:
IMG_3184.jpg

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
My worry with these are that one of mine had a bit of a freak when her mate left without her and ended putting her hind leg through the bars and getting stuck! Very rare I know but just a thought (sorry a negative one)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Took me a little googling to find what I knew I had seen, but if someone wants to combine both open, and a few closed, then from an aesthetic point of view, I think it would look better if the open stable fronts was combined with something closeable like this:

tegel_197833593.jpg

Rather than this:

boxe-chevaux-9.jpg

Also can't resist sharing this picture I happened to come across:
IMG_3184.jpg

that’s adorable