Swapped one lame horse for another!

Annagain

Visit site
I knew it was too good to be true. After posting on Friday that M had been given the go ahead to start ridden work again, I took A to dressage on Saturday. It was his first competition for 3 years and I was thrilled with his marks of 64% in the prelim and 62.9% in his first ever novice. I was even more thrilled with his impeccable behaviour. He loaded well, warmed up nicely, didn't tank at all (his favourite naughty thing is to tank off at a high speed trot) and other than a little blip when he stopped mid canter to call to his mate B, didn't show any signs of napping.

Then I saw my sheets. The judge said on both sheets that he was unlevel and this had cost me marks. I was slightly pleased that his marks could have been even higher but very confused and deflated about it too. Partly as I know this horse inside out and couldn't feel a thing wrong. He's the first to throw his toys out of the pram if something's wrong and he was just so reasonable on Saturday! He felt a little bit stiff and was falling in on the left rein but he always does in the school and I've been assured by the vet that he's just a stiff old git who doesn't do anywhere near enough flatwork to get him properly supple. I feel very guilty that the stiffness I feel might be more and totally peed off that just as one comes sound, the other is going to be pushing up that not inconsiderable vet bill I already have!

jewel

Visit site
how old is he? could it be stiffness due to age, if it is could it be worth trying him on cortaflex or something like that

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know how you feel I never seem to have 2 sound horses at the same time:( when was the last time the vet looked at him? it could be that his just go a little bit worse and sometimes because as owners we are the only ones to ride and see them every day we don't always notice subtle changes.

Annagain

Visit site
how old is he? could it be stiffness due to age, if it is could it be worth trying him on cortaflex or something like that

I know how you feel I never seem to have 2 sound horses at the same time:( when was the last time the vet looked at him? it could be that his just go a little bit worse and sometimes because as owners we are the only ones to ride and see them every day we don't always notice subtle changes.

He's 20 and hasn't jumped for the last 8 years due to foot problems. He hasn't had a day's serious lameness (just a bout of thrush once) since he stopped jumping. I know it's inevitable that his feet will be problem one day but he seems so well and I genuinely can't feel anything, but it could be a gradual thing that has come on so slowly that I've got used to it. He's also done a lot more in the school since M has been off as he normally just hacks (he's not that fond of schooling and when M's fit I don't feel the need!) so it could b e linked to that. Vet hasn't seen him officially for anything other than routine jabs for years but lives round the corner and has often seen us out hacking and commented on how well he's moving.