Swapping horse (2)

Halfpass

Visit site
Following on from my post about swapping horses, I have been contacted by the person who emailed me about the horse that she was looking to swap. Story goes.........
She bought mare a few months back from a private buyer in Dorset who had imported her. She bought her as backed but is a very nervous and novice rider and as horse is young and also nervous and novice they have not hit it off at all.
She is a 3-4 year old warmblood out of waterman and she also metioned that she has some gelderlander in her ( she does have papers). She is good on the lunge and has since this girl has had her had a saddle on her and been ridden quietly round a field by her sister. She said that horse needs a confiednt handler as she does tend to snort and blow at things and can be a little nervous / lively. She wants to do a straight swap with my horse as wants something older and more experienced to hack out. What do you think a horse like this would sell for. She had a price of £2500 advertised for her. It still sounds fishy to me but if its all the truth i may be getting a bargain. What do you all think?

horsegirl

Visit site
She wants to swap a young well bred sound horse for one which won't pass a vetting. Sorry but if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

Accy

Visit site
I paid 2500 for a Polish Warmblood lightly backed about two months ago, he is basically at the walk stage.

Halfpass

Visit site
He will pass a vetting as he is not lame so no problem there. Have explained my boy to her and been honest so it maybe worth looking into even if I get there and the horse is a definate no then at least I can say i looked into it. I obviously would have horse vetted first and would take my instructor with me.

Claireg9

Visit site
Your right to be cautious, but that doesnt mean she is not genuine!
Check it out as much as you can if she looks ok and all details match up theres no reason why you shouldnt go for it.
It could just be that shes had the S*** scared out of her by a young nervous horse... it does happen!

sammys ma

Visit site
is this the same person who also had the young gelding, but she had already sold it?

If so..why would she have 2 youngsters in such a short space of time if she's a nervous novice? all sounds VERY dodgy!

But then again, if you are prepared to go and suss her out, then ther's no harm, as if she is dodgy..you can warn others of her ( but sticking to the H&H T& C's ofcourse!)

horsegirl

Visit site
but I thought he had failed the vet 2 or 3 times already which is why you are having problems selling him, or is this a different horse?

Halfpass

Visit site
It is yes and when iasked her she said that they bought both off of same person in dorset one for her and one for sister realises now it was a huge mistake as neither are that experienced and could not cope. He apparently is now on loan doing dressage!!! Feesable I suppose people do make mistakes.

Halfpass

Visit site
He failed first time as was lame (pulled something in field) in the next post I explained that same vet came and failed again although I could not see him as lame. I have since trotted him up for my vet who has said he is sound!!! I have explained this to anyone who has been interested in him as i do want to be honest so its up to them to make their own decision

Happytohack

Visit site
You are right to be cautious, but she might be totally genuine and have completely overhorsed herself. A lively very green youngster, no matter how beautifully bred, is worthless to someone who is too nervous to do anything with it. Whereas your horse would probably suit her. Proceed with caution, but it is definitely worth a look.

Parkranger

Visit site
Just because he's not lame, doesn't mean he'll pass a vetting!

How much is your horse worth and what breeding is he?

I agree that you should be cautious and I personally think that these kind of 'deals' are usually to get rid of a useless/ill horse in exchange for one they can sell on for more money.

May be completely wrong, but I'm a bit of a cynic unfortunately! x

siennamum

Visit site
Someone in the South West has recently imported a load of Gelderlanders and is selling them quite cheap through ads in the local press.
If this mare has Gelderlander in her then I would be cautious, I've known a few and they are lovely animals but not always particularly attractive (if you like a horse with a girth and an ar*e) they are also carriage horses and consequently can be nappy and backwards unless in harness with a good mate trotting alongside.

I appreciate you haven't vast funds but would never see the financial sense in spending £1k less for a horse which is not what you really want. They cost the same to keep. Not saying that's what you're doing but would definitely be very caustious.
I would only buy a horse as a possible bargain if I could afford for it to turn out to be a complete crock of sh*t and could afford to keep it for an indeterminate time.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would be tempted to make a list in order of importance of the qualities that you want from a horse and see how it matches it. If not forget it and search for what you really want.

Also get your vet to find out what is wrong with your horse by getting him to phone the vet up that did the vetting who will be pleased to tell him what he saw (unless there is a conflict of interest).

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yes be cautious and check everything out, but she might be completely genuine, there are still people out there like that.

I was like this when i brought my Danish Warmblood a few years ago. She was 10, very well bred, won Novice dresssage, BSJA, competed at Hickstead and 100% in everyway. Her price £2,500. I couldn't believe it, but the reason was so that she would go to an approved, good and permanent home as she was advertised in H&H the previous year for £10,000, but just got comp yards and horrible people phoning. So you can find bargains from genuine people.

Good Luck and hope everything works out for you.
smile.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just because he's not lame, doesn't mean he'll pass a vetting!

He passed the vetting up to the trot up where he was lame so I know that he is ok heart lungs eyes teeth etc etc and as he is now sound I have absolutely no reason to believe he would not pass.

Halfpass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just go and have a look ayou will soon see if there is something funy going on and it won't hurt just to have a look. GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Is not too far from me and you never know it may turn out ok. I'm still feeling cautious as it does sound too good to be true so I'm taking a horsey level headed friend with me.

Halfpass

Visit site

Also get your vet to find out what is wrong with your horse by getting him to phone the vet up that did the vetting who will be pleased to tell him what he saw (unless there is a conflict of interest).

[/ QUOTE ]

My vet and my farrier both feel that horse is sound and say that it was probably just a tweek that he did in the field the night he was out in a storm. Have been asking round about the vet that vetted him and really have not heard good things about her.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I know it's difficult but you must keep an open mind. It is so easy to convince yourself that everything is right & ignore things. There is nothing to lose by going and seeing the horse. Ride it, try it out but take a trusted friend with you. Hopefully the friend will keep your feet on the ground & put various points to you & make sure you are not glossing over any perceived problem. Once you've seen it & tried it, go away & think about it. Then come back and try it again. Ask loads of questions. At the end of the day you are the person who will be paying for it, you will be the one who has to live with the decision...if it feels right then go for it. If it doesn't feel quite right then walk away.....there are loads of horses out there....& even more when the winter is approaching & prices will come down. Good Luck

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
iam a bit miffed you swapping yet in previous posts you love your horse and if you had the money then would nt sell him--- so is the horse really lame or what -- if i loved my horse the way you said then no contest-- he would win--

anyways think a bit further forward than just a swap - if you really love your horse then to me if hes not lame then why get another when you clearly said you have to watch your pennies---
dont make sense