Swapping horses - is this a possibility?

MissGee

Visit site
As the title says... is swapping a horse a possibility?

To cut a long story short... I have a yearling, who I was hoping was going to be my next jumping horse but sadly my mare has had to stop jumping sooner than I suspected. She's still fit and active but had enough of show jumping. So I'm left with nothing to jump for at least the next 3 years... :(

I've had my yearling advertised for sale in the hope that I could sell him and buy something ready to go but the market is so poor at the moment I've had little interest.

So what I'm wondering is whether to advertise him as a potential swap for a ridden/jumping horse. I'm not looking for a superstar and don't mind quirks/vices so long as it has a good pop.

Am I mad for even thinking this is an idea...? If not, where do I advertise this, is there any specific site for swaps? :confused:

Thanks for reading and thoughts please. :rolleyes:

Littlelegs

Visit site
It's possible I suppose but I imagine easier to sell & buy separately. Plus unless the yearling is top quality I would have thought the difference in value between a yearling & the type of horse you want would make it even more difficult.

navaho

Visit site
Ive done it...it can work. Ive still got my boy 10yrs later, best thing i ever did :) Mine was really random though, i saw him advertised & called about him & jokingly said to the seller "i dont suppose you would want to swap for a nutty chestnut cob mare"...& as they say, the rest is history :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Surely the only way someone would swap you a jumper for a yearling is if there's something seriously wrong with their horse? Unless they're numpties who just can't handle it and have let it walk all over them so now they're scared of it. You could probably sort that out and have a nice jumper, but would you want those people to have your yearling?

MissGee

Visit site
Sugar and Spice that's exactly the sort of swap I had in mind but I'd never thought of it that way and no, that's not the sort of home I'd want my yearling to go to!

MissGee

Visit site
Loan's not really an option.... I struggle to part with them! Hence why I have one completely retired at 30 years old and two semi retired at 19 and 20 years.... :rolleyes:

ghostie

Visit site
get a sharer who doesn't want to jump for your mare, and then find yourself a share on a horse that jumps? Frankly I'd love someone to come and get my boy jumping (as I haven't jumped in ten years so am too much of a wuss to start him myself) although I'm far too far from you :)