Sweating in MT Travel boots

Leg_end

Visit site
As title.. And I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to stop it. He has been on a few long journeys as well as shorter ones and he has sweated each time. They have the silky lining. I'm obviously concerned about overheating but daren't travel naked as he can be an idiot to load and often jumps off the ramp.

He's coming back from rehab at the end of Jan and its a 3.5hr journey back so am thinking of bandaging but are there any other solutions that will keep his legs from sweating so much? I wondered about trying to sew something inside the boot that will wick away the sweat and keep him cooler but I'm interested to hear what other people do.

charlimouse

Visit site
This happened with a couple of my horses in the MT travel boots. I now use woof wear ones which I have found much better and have had no problems with sweaty legs

humblepie

Visit site
I sold my MT ones as the horse's legs got hot in them. Now use very old ones and the newer horse travels without boots or rug as he sweats up all of his own accord (though loads and travels well and is not bothered in the slightest).

Leg_end

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one! I think I may grab some under bandage wraps and try those next time. I would travel him bare legged but just can't risk it whilst he is a donut!

3bh

Visit site
I've tried a set of MT boots on numerous different horses in various trailers and lorries and all get far too overheated, at best come out with sticky manky legs and if a naturally "warm" horse anyway end up lathered - so they've been in the back of the cupboard for months now and I will only travel horses bandaged if they MUST have some protection!

Luci07

Visit site
Mine did originally but he was a novice traveller so I bandaged his back legs to begin with with MT on front and reduced his actual rugs a lot. He is a horse that really feels the cold quickly but as an eg, I travelled him out yesterday with just a heavy fleece and he is fully clipped. He is back in a full set of boots again now with no problem.

Leg_end

Visit site
That's interesting, thanks for all your replies.

I checked him under his rug and he was a bit cool when we stopped at the services but 45 mins later when we arrived he had sweated.. I think he struggles with the turns (despite v careful driving) as on the motorway he is totally fine.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What about Thermatex wraps instead, plenty of protection in those. I hate travelling boots of any type with a passion, either too hot, too cold or they slip and irritate which results in a bad journey. Either those wraps or bandages every time for me if something is necessary.

vam

Visit site
I had a set for my old mare and never had a problem with them. When she was pts i kept them as i really liked the fit etc and as they where full sized would fit the next horse. I tried my boy in them and he got very sweaty in them, he is quite a hot horse anyway but they just boiled him. He now travels bare legged with what a rug depending on the weather.

Oddly he went through a really bad stage of not loading, im talking kicking through walls and rearing full height instead of going up the ramp. He now loads a first time and as he has nothing on his leg, travels better and doesnt get so hot.
I think he found it difficult with boots on so stopped loading, i still have to load him in a stallion ring but he will go up fine as he finds it easier.
Like yours he is rubbish on the small roads but fine on motorways, its like he works really hard to ballance with all the stop starting that you get on smaller roads.

Leg_end

Visit site
Vam that's interesting as he was fine to load previously but we have a new lorry which is on the other side and these boots are new too...

I'm definitely going to travel without them on next time and see if it makes a difference :)