Sweaty horse living out in this weather... to rug or not to rug?

fuze

Visit site
Little bit unsure here, so some opinions would be good!

Neddy has just been moved to a new yard. He's been living out unrugged thus far, with a low chaser clip, with no problems at all. New yard involves him being out in a herd which he's not used to, and is apparently very exciting. He's spending his days charging round like a loon (looking quite happy with himself, I might add), which means he seems to be constantly sweaty. At times, almost dripping.

My question: when it's approx 2 degrees at night, would you rug or leave him to his own devices? We had frost on the ground this morning, and I'm worrying about him catching a chill. Naked? Rainsheet? Lightweight fill? Any answers appreciated :)

be positive

Visit site
A bit of frost will do no harm, they cope with that far better than driving rain, he will be best left without a rug better a little cool than damp, hot and sweaty under a rug that he cannot take off that is unhealthy. Hopefully he will settle down soon as with all that running around and getting sweaty he may drop condition as we go into winter.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Ditto, it seems wrong, but as long as he has something to eat and can move to keep warm he should be fine, better than being rugged.

And tell him to stop being a wally! :)

fuze

Visit site
Thanks both, I've given him a stern talking to, but the silly side is still ruling his head :p He came in steaming this morning after ploughing round with one of the youngsters. Silly sod.

We'll leave naked and wait for the novelty to wear off... it can't take too long, right?!

GinaGem

Visit site
If he likes to play it may not calm down!!! I've known a few that just love to play, always boys! Is he the one in your signature?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Leave him to his own devices, he will roll and sort himself out if he's cold or itchy. A rug would make things if he's charging round getting sweaty. Things will settle down.

BayLady

Visit site
I agree with the posts so far, leave him to it.

My 4yr old decided that playing like a lunatic in the field was far more fun than coming in a few weeks ago. By the time I got to the yard (I pay to have him brought in earlier, was told he wouldn't be caught) he looked like I'd just run him round the woods for a few hours, sweaty, covered in mud and steaming madly! I brought him up to the yard, gave him a good check over and then put him back out. As long as they're not staying hot and contantly blowing, and they have food and can move around it's not a huge issue. The only time I'd really worry is if it was pouring with rain at the same time.

fuze

Visit site
If he likes to play it may not calm down!!! I've known a few that just love to play, always boys! Is he the one in your signature?

He's the one in my profile pic, over yonder << From what I can gather he's been isolated for a number of years, so being in a herd has blown his mind a little (the plan was to introduce him over an electric fence... he hopped the fence and threw himself straight in there). He was actually dry enough to brush down today, so it's an improvement. He did tank off like a looney when I turned him back out, though. As my YO says, at least I'll never have to worry about his weight!!

As long as they're not staying hot and contantly blowing, and they have food and can move around it's not a huge issue. The only time I'd really worry is if it was pouring with rain at the same time.

He has both grass and hay to pick from while in the field, so he has plenty to eat. Would you be tempted to throw a rainsheet on if it starts bucketing down?