Sweaty horse overnight ?

FNC

Visit site
Ok, this is going to sounds a bit weird and I don’t know whether to be concerned. I have an aged ID Mare 24 and a half who is stabled overnight and out during the day. She is retired and unclipped (for the last couple of years due to arthritis) but for the first time this winter she has started sweating in what I would call “normal” night time rugs for her.

In previous winters she hasn’t worn many clothes but is in at least a light fleece unless very cold. The other night it was 6 degrees and I would expect her to be ok in a fleece at this temp but was lightly sweaty the next morning. She has since been naked - again I have no problem with this but it it unusual for her.

She had the test for PPID last summer and was way,way under the threshold for being concerned. She seems ok in herself - good appetite, bright and perky, not depressed.

Would this concern you? It’s not really worrying me other than it’s not normal for her if you see what I mean ?

be positive

Visit site
It has been so mild my old boy is now not wearing a rug, for the first winter ever, my ISH who is in the same field is also naked and has been clammy/ sweaty a few times, I am not concerned about mine as they are otherwise very well and guess yours is much the same, I am more than happy to not have rugs to think about although it may all change before winter is over.

FNC

Visit site
Thank you - yes this is my thought too. Maybe just milder ? We had minus 3 the other night and she had a thin stable duvet and was fine in that. I worry about her as she’s older 😊

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Def the temps, my smaller mini has been quite sweaty the last 2 mornings poor soul. mainly neck, armpits but also flanks too this morning. She's going to have to sweat it out till temps drop tho, as otherwise she's a delicate flower and needs rugs on or stabling for when its cold and wet etc, sigh...

Reactions: FNC

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's definitely the weather it's not been cold at all, I have an unclipped Arab mainly living out and his only had a no fill turnout on and that is only because he doesn't like getting wet, if he comes in his left naked even overnight.

paddy555

Visit site
The obvious answer may be she is too hot so remove the rug but I would be wondering. Mine are rugged and not sweating. In view of the age I would be looking at PPID again. Horses seem to test false negative. Before dismissing it as just being too hot to be rugged I would be looking at all the PPID symptoms and making sure there were none. Mine tested extremely negative yet was PPID and diagnosed from the symptoms.

FNC

Visit site
Thank you Paddy5555 this was what I was concerned about. She doesn’t appear to have the other signs - possibly drinking a little more but not a huge change so I need to keep a close on on it. She normally has her annual review/vacc/teeth in March but I’m thinking I might bring that forward 😊