sweaty horses...

truffles

Visit site
What do you do with yours??
Chloe is clipped (trace) but still gets fairly sweaty on her neck especially - I usually just pop a cooler on her (thermatex hopefully coming at christmas!) and then when she is dried off she is turned out with a LWish rug...

Just wondering, hoping I'm doing the right thing!
I'm too much of a wimp to wash her, so paranoid that she'll get a chill as it can get so windy up where the yard is!

Should I be giving her electrolytes when she is sweaty, or is it not worth it?

Any info and webbies on what to do with sweaty horses much appreciated - Just curious to find out more about it as well!
smile.gif

Oooh and clever tricks i.e. straw under a rug etc...Anymore nifty tricks like those?

Thanks
smile.gif
x

xoxalicexox

Visit site
heya,, im pleased you have written this post, was going to write the same thing tonight, i have the same problem ive got a very hairy cob and is quite fit but sweats alot,he lives out so i leave him in to dry off and sometimes he takes 3hrs to dry! sometimes i give him electrolytes sometimes i dont depends on how much he has sweated. hes having a full clip in the next week, cant wait!!
xx

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Can't wash storm off because she usually ties up when i di that so I throw a cooler on her, leave her to dry then brust off the crusty bits. When Missy is sweaty I wash her off and throw a cooler on her until she's dry then brush off the crusty bits.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hi, mine sweats in the winter especially after hacks - she is unclipped; I need to be careful with her not to get a chill as she is prone to tying up so no washing off for us! Last year I kind of re-created the Thermatex effect by using a fleece and putting a lightweight stable rug on top until she was dry then turn out when dry with relevant turnout rug. This year she will have a real Thermatex (my birthday present) so will try that.

Vicky7041

Visit site
Can you clip her neck out? I.e balnket clip? I have a very seaty pony, shes very fizzy so sweats up within mins, she has a full clip, and I do feed elctrolytes.