Sweeping up after the farrier

Greylegs

Visit site
I got to the yard this afternoon just as someone’s horse was being shod. When the guy had finished he packed up his gear and departed, leaving the usual mess of hoof trimmings and general gunk on the yard. The owner of the horse went off to find a brush to sweep up and I joked about farriers never seeming to learn how to use a sweeping brush at “farrier school”. “Oh no”, said horse owner, “they’re not allowed to sweep up these days, because if they do, and leave a nail behind and someone gets injured, they’re liable for any injuries caused. So they leave it to us to clear up after them.”

Seriously?? Has anyone else heard of this or does my fellow livery just have a messy farrier?

Greylegs

Visit site
It’s not the fact that he didn’t sweep up, it was about his saying that (apparently) he’s not “allowed” to for legal reasons.

{97702}

Visit site
My farrier only ever swept up after himself if I wasn't around (bless him!) otherwise I would sweep up myself of course, but I was on one yard where we were forbidden to put farrier sweepings onto the muck heap as the bits of nails got into farm machinery and damaged it. Nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if they were told not to sweep up after themselves, but it would also be a convenient excuse I suppose!

meleeka

Visit site
Mine has been known to sweep up while he’s waiting for the next horse. He says he likes sweeping so I’m not complaining! If he’s not allowed he hasn’t got the memo. Mine are unshod but I always check just in case.

tiahatti

Visit site
“they’re not allowed to sweep up these days, because if they do, and leave a nail behind and someone gets injured, they’re liable for any injuries caused. So they leave it to us to clear up after them.”
I haven't heard this before but I wouldn't be surprised.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Agree with others regarding sweeping, it's my horse so my job.

It doesn't surprise me regarding the legality side of not wanting to be sued in case a nail is missed/causes injury.

babymare

Visit site
I would never expect a farrier to sweep up. Why would you. If you had a delivery of hay would the wagon driver sweep up the loose hay on floor?

AFB

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't expect a farrier to sweep up after themselves, but the idea that they couldn't is just daft.

pippixox

Visit site
Although I have never seen one sweep up so don’t expect it, for example- a skilled tradesman refitted my bathroom and he brought his own vacuum and brush and used it at the end of each to get the worse of he mess. He is skilled and not paid as a cleaner, but the five minutes each day was much appreciated

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Is he so tight that he collects old nails and straightens them for re-use?

QUOTE “ all that is needed after the farrier has gone is a few minutes using a broom and a telescopic magnet” QUOTE

No, Keith_Beef, “after the farrier has gone” I do the clearing up.
He always puts old nails in his wooden box and I have never found one on the ground.
He suggested the telescopic magnet to make sure as much metal as possible is picked up.

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Everyone knows that the farriers at college take the afternoon off when the lesson entitled "What is a broom & how do you use it" happens. There's no health & safety issue involved, they just don't do it....simple!!

Fiona

Visit site
It’s not the fact that he didn’t sweep up, it was about his saying that (apparently) he’s not “allowed” to for legal reasons.

I've definitely not heard of that before.....

I always sweep for my farrier though, even when we are in his forge.... He tells me when to do it ;)

Fiona

Sheep

Visit site
The not sweeping up for liability issues sounds dubious to me... surely if there's nails lying around, and someone steps in it, he'd be no less liable than if he had swept it up and left it? Not that I would ever blame my farrier in that instance...

In any case, I am always present for my farrier visits and usually try to sweep up as we go. Sometimes he starts brushing up when I am getting cash ready for him. We're often his last call though, and he usually hangs about for a chat.
Most of the other farriers will sweep the trimmings up against the wall, nearest to where they were working, so that it is out of the way (most attend during the day, without owners present).

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
QUOTE “ all that is needed after the farrier has gone is a few minutes using a broom and a telescopic magnet” QUOTE

No, Keith_Beef, “after the farrier has gone” I do the clearing up.
He always puts old nails in his wooden box and I have never found one on the ground.
He suggested the telescopic magnet to make sure as much metal as possible is picked up.

Yes, my mistake... I should have posted that as a reply to KrujaaLass's post.

J&S

Visit site
My young farrier has a roller magnet that he quickly runs over the concrete area we use for him to shoe. I am very grateful for this having had a horse shoe nail go way up into my pony's frog in the past. I then sweep up afterwards.