Sweet itch in a yearling

jaffa2311

Visit site
It's me again, talking about the same yearling as last time.
My previous thread was about her getting down and rolling whilst going to the field post colic. Please read if interested!

Anyway, I'm beginning to think my almost 11 month old is showing signs of sweet itch and wanted your opinions.

She is out unrugged, shedding a huge winter coat and very, very itchy.

She is desperate for a scratch anywhere and constantly.
Her forelock is getting rubbed out and is disappearing quickly by her rubbing it in the field.
Her face has also been rubbed a huge amount today and starting to look like it will become sore.
She has a lot of flaky skin in her forelock and base of neck.

All of these things point to a pony suffering with midgies.

I have just purchased benzyl benzoate and neem oil. Does anyone have any tips on how to apply these effectively?

My filly is rather promiscuous and playful ( as you would expect!), I am uncertain whether to trust her with a fly mask...!

Has anyone ever had to put a fly mask on such a baby before? Any recommendations if so? I'd much rather she didn't!

She's meant to be turned away currently, being a baby but seems to need constant human intervention! 🙄🙄

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Are you sure it's not lice I have only seen 2 cases both 2 year old but they did the same thing as your filly is doing and ended up with bald faces and no mane, if she is making herself bald it must be a very bad itch and she could end up breaking the skin, so I would not put the benzyl or neem on that it will sting like hell I would get your vet to look at her to be honest as it sounds quite severe.

jaffa2311

Visit site
Thanks. I should have included in the thread that lice was my differential diagnosis also. It is a sudden onset with going out 24/7 and Spring though. Wouldn't live have manifested itself before this?

I will contact my vet.

What can I do to treat it? Is the powder effective?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I wouldn't use powder personally. 10mls of coopers spot on (from the vet) put on in one place preferably where you won't need to touch it. If it's lice, that will sort them (and you often cannot see them doesn't mean they aren't there!).