Sweet itch?? Rubbed hair off face.

maxapple

Visit site
We are in the south east and have had two or three lovely warm days this week.

On Wednesday, my pony came in with a bit of a swollen eye. By yesterday it was pretty puffy and sore so I called the vet out. She had a good look with the green dye and couldn't find anything - so gave him a bute injection to take down the swelling and some eye ointment. He also had some patches around his mouth where he has been scratching.

Tonight when I got to the yard his eye was better but he has rubbed patches in his face, his ears and around his eyes and is really sore. He's had mild sweet itch in the past but never like this - with such a sudden onset. He usually just has a fly rug on and is ok with that.

I've put camrosa on tonight as that really helps and will cover him in sudocream tomorrow and put a fly mask on.

Has anyone else been caught out this year with the sudden summer and what do you use for sweet itch??

Also - the odds of him keeping a fly mask on for long are pretty slim. What else can I use to protect his face from flies - especially at the moment when it is too sore to use fly spray.

Tnavas

Visit site
Sometimes at this time of year you may get a few fungal infections so washing with something like Nizoral - my first choice, or Vetadine will kill off the itchiness in the skin.

HAve you checked to see if there are any lice? If so worm with an Ivermectin wormer - generally gets them from within.

maxapple

Visit site
He's fully clipped and hogged so I don't think there are any lice - as I think I'd see them? Will have a good look tomorrow tho. They are being wormed on Monday.

Can you use those products u mentioned on inflamed skin as he's pretty sore.?