Sweet Itch rugs for donkeys?

JingleTingle

Visit site
Well it now seems that one of my donkeys has also got sweet itch, at least my mare won't feel so out of it this year!:(

Has anyone recommendations for SI rugs that fit a donkey fairly well - have been googling away but all I can find is pony rugs. I feel they may all be too big around the neck and chest area for the little man.

Also, I think that my other donkeys, in their usual playful pestish way will probably try and pull the rug off him. I spray their winter rugs with pepper spray to stop this.....but I wonder if it would have an adverse effect on SI rugs, given the finer material that they are?:confused:

Help please any donkey people?

ghostie

Visit site
someone posted on here the other day in response to another sweet ich rug thread about a lady on ebay that makes made to measure sweet itch rugs - might be worth trying to find the thread/the listings on ebay as presumably she could make one to fit your donkey?

littledonkey

Visit site
we use a snuggy suit for our pony i'm sure i've seen a photo of a donkey wearing one & they were very helpful in making one to fit an awkward pony at our yard so they may be able to help you too.

JingleTingle

Visit site
thanks for your replys. I think I will see if I can get one made to measure then. He has such a skinny little neck and shoulders I think one designed for a pony would just be too loose to be of any benefit. Perhaps I have highlighted a gap in the rug market!:D

Flummoxed

Visit site
The lady who sells the De Meulenkamp rugs was recently saying on Facebook that she has adjusted one for a donkey. Check out the Sweetitch Support group on Facebook.

threemuleteers.blogspot.co.uk
Boett will do donkey sweetitch rugs and even have the full hoods with big ears. Although expensive they last if looked after and really are worth their weight in gold.

If not the dinky rugs ones are good although the necks can be a little on the short side but they're very helpful so might be able to suggest something.