Sweet itch?

RubysGold

Visit site
At what point does itching become sweet itch?

My boy is 7. Hes a cob and I bought him as a 3 year old.

He comes in at 8.30/9am and goes back out between 6.30/7pm.

When I turn him out, he will lay on the floor and just sort of wriggle, rubbing his belly on the grass. He then gets up, and goes to the electricity pylon for a good bum scratch. (He doesn't always do both of these things)
When I fetch him in, he sometimes scratches his bum on the door. And Im sure he scratches on the wall when Im not there

Every time I brush him, his tail is all scruffy and I normally end up with a handful of his hair in my hand.

Two days ago he got an itchy shoulder, which he insists I scratch for him while he pulls funny faces because it feels so good.

He is so itchy, Im guessing this is actually sweet itch (though the reason I ask if it is, is because I know a sweet itch pony who has bald patches on her bum and withers and has to be hogged so obviously he isn't as bad as her.)

I have bought something from the tack shop, think its neem oil and tea tree oil in it, you massage into the tail. Though I haven't yet tried it

I haven't been fly spraying, as I didn't realise the flies were bad at night (but being in the field tonight I got bit quite a lot so tomorrow I will spray him)

Wondering whether to feed him something, there seems to be lots of supplements and potions online to stop horses itching.

Also wondering, (because of the other pony) is it something that gets worse every year, will he get like that over time? )

Any advice?

Last edited:

Regandal

Visit site
I've only seen one bad SI horse - a Welsh Sec D. He had weeping, open sores in at the base of his mane and tail, and would do anything to scratch himself. He needed a full fly rug, with belly flap and was coated with neem oil daily. Worked within a week to stop the scratching. He recovered, but owner had to continue with the treatment. Previous owners swore blind he didn't have it. He was bought in November.......

be positive

Visit site
Sweet itch is a reaction to midge bites, not horse fly bites, so they are more vulnerable at dawn and dusk when the midges are out in force, by keeping him in during the day then turning him out unprotected you have inadvertently been leaving him out at the worst time for a true sweet itch sufferer.
He does not sound too bad, it can certainly be progressive as their immune system becomes more reactive but there is plenty you can do to help, a good rug to act as a barrier, fly repellents make sure you spray where the midges bite under the tummy and the legs the reaction is not in the immediate area of the bites so do not just spray the places he rubs.
Diet needs to be looked at, no garlic as that can make it far worse, brewers yeast helps some and there are various supplements that claim to help but it can be trial and error to see what works for the individual.

WelshD

Visit site
Have you ruled out pinworm? That's where I would start as the tail area is the biggest problem

Nativelover

Visit site
Pin worm or mites. I was convinced mine had sweetitch as he was so itchy all the time. But his itching wasn't seasonal though we do live in a midgy area. By pure coincidence I'd clipped him the morning of his yearly vaccs and as soon as the vet clapped eyes on him said he has an allergy to mites!! 1x dectomax later and I had a very happy itch free boy!!
He did none of the stereotypical feet stamping so mites were ruled out by me and the other liveries.

RubysGold

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
He comes in through the day because he is prone to getting overweight and he gets sunburn really bad on his pink nose if I leave him out.

I will worm him in case it is pinworm but when I read up on that it said they leave eggs around the anus and he is totally clean there (unless they are so small they aren't visible!)

The only visible thing is a bit of scabbiness under his tail on the dock.

Kacey88

Visit site
Hi RubysGold, I totally understand your confusion! My mare gets itchy in the summer similar to your boy. She never damages her skin or anything, just generally messes up her tail from time to time and her forelock too. We have a lot of midges and she is stabled near a pond (I know, not a good idea!). Anyway, I'm pretty sure she does not have sweet itch, but is just more sensitive to biting insects. She is another prone to mites too, and when she gets them she has ruined new shoes from stomping. Pulling her tail also used to make her itch, anytime of the year, so I stopped that. Cobs often have more sensitive skin I have found.

They drive me nuts and I have to wear a hat in the evenings or I'm driven mad itching. Pretty sure I don't have sweet itch!

Hers has never got any worse over four years. Also, she only itches at home, been to two other yards and no itching. I cover her up on bad days, particularly in the evening. Best of luck with it.

Last edited:

RubysGold

Visit site
My poor boy, he looked really miserable this morning.
Came in planted his bum against the wall, lowered his head and just looked so fed up :-(

Have put sudocreme on the wounds and that Neem oil thing I bought on his tail, I hope that soothes it a bit

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The next couple of months are the worst for sweet itch so make sure you treat him fully everyday at the moment so it doesn't get worse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Having had a sweetitch horse I found the very best thing was to cover up with a sweet itch rug. Having said that if she is already itching she will likely rub the rug, but next year I would get there early before it starts.

A client had had some success with the Gold Label sweet itch lotion. It smells like neem oil, and the pony's tail has gone from thickened skin and scurf to calm skin and no scurf.