SweetItch Part 720 lol

ibot

Visit site
Hey

So this is my first post this season i think :eek: and was wondering how everyone is getting on??

now tell me what you think to this i have been recommended by my YM to give paddy a steroid injection to help the SI but does anyone have any thing they want to tell me about it.

i know in human terms you can use steroid creams for ezcema and steroid pills and inhalers for asthma :D but how does it help with SI

Another friend as said to use lavender something or other in the water as that too is meant to help. starting to think im getting too much information and not sure what to do for the best.

At the moment i am using d-itch powder and brewers yeast and i have a fly rug on and i use switch once a week and top up with benzo as and when. i also have neem oil when i feel my horse is not smelly enough lol :D:D

thank you for reading

me
xxx

lizzielizard

New User
Visit site
i would avoid the injections, the vets have tried them so many times on my pony that suffers quite badly from sweet itch and they have never worked was just a complete waste of money, but thats just my opinion. I use coopers lotion on his body, fly spray, alva sweet itch spray on his mane and tail and a rambo sweet itch rug and we seem to have just about got it under control resulting in him having a mane and tail for the first time in about 3 years. I hope some of this helped.

Good luck xx

iris

Visit site
Are you using a rambo sweet itch rug?

With the steroid injection you run the risk of giving your pony laminitis, with long term use of steroid cream your ponies nervous system may suffer and the pony can experience what has been described as "brain shivers".

This season I've only had to use the rambo rug along with nothing else. I put in on in April and she has been perfect since, she hasn't scratched at all. However, if you throw a Rambo on a horse that has been irritated by midges its best to give them a good wash and apply something like aloe vera oil in the stable for a few hours to allow the area to soothe and then apply summer freedom and throw on the rug, don't be surprised if they are still scratching as it can take time for the skin to become less irritated, so use the summer freedom until they have stopped entirely scratching.

Switch most likely contains permythrin which is already built into the rug so you wouldn't require that any longer, I think the only thing you may require after buying the rug is a face mask. Honestly, I've had 5 with sweet itch and I'm totally converted to the rambo sweet itch rug- it has made life with a sweet itch pony a piece of cake.

ibot

Visit site
thank you so much for your replies paddy has just gone 7 and the first vet i spoke to said no to the injection as he was too young but this other one said yes, do you not think you get so much advice your head will explode lol :D