SweetItch Potions Pretty Please

ibot

Visit site
Hey

As the title really I know there use to be a post in the forum but hoping people would be kind enough to share again,,,,,, pretty pretty please with cherries on top and maybe some whip cream :D:D

Thank you
xxx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
A really good rug and mask :D

Like this :eek:

F2F13E95-54E2-42C0-B80F-08809476E49F-12952-00000C7080D2E70A_zps4ce8b0ac.jpg

Rug is pagony, hood/mask is masta bug rug (11 quid from Rideaway currently!)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Um, yep, I seem to remember this thread from a while back..........

I use Killitch (benzyl benzoate) and don't therefore make up my own stuff. Yes its more pricey, but its convenient, and it works.

Tried pig oil & sulphur but brought traddie-boy up in an awful rash so shan't be doing that one again.

There WAS a "recipe" that someone used and it had Avon Skin-So-Soft in it, from memory I seem to recall.......? Think also cold tea, and vinegar? Poss also Citronella, Tea Tree and Neem plus a small amount of Fairy Liquid to mix it all up and stop it emulysifying and going solid. But can't remember what quantities or what ingredients precisely.

pippixox

Visit site
rugs help- my girl itched her tail to death one year, since then not such a problem, once it gets midgey she wears Rambo sweet itch hoody and if still irritated or she needs a day without rug as really hot or rubbing I use NET TEX stop itch salve, really thick stuff, on her tail. gets a bit grose as so thick but seems to work. I have also used benzyl benzoate liquid, but it makes your hands stink so wear rubber gloves! easier to apply if you have problems with itchy manes.

ibot

Visit site
Thank you I have a big old rug on Pads at the moe but I like to try most things then I feel like I am doing something.
I also passed by Holland and Barrett today and brought some citronella and tea tree oil so thought id give it a bash
I will be checking out Rideaway thanks for that
xx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No potion has made as much difference as this rug. He came with another rug but it wasn't as good as this one.

By the way the masta hoods look a lot better on bigger animals, he is a midget freak :eek:. It does the job on him but looks daft, I am really impressed with it on normal sized beasties :)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
All above very good advice, use a boett rug pricey but does last a couple of years. Benzo ben(what ever) never put on where they have rubbed themselves raw as it burns like hell, steroids make their skin thinner and the way the weather has been lately midges out earlier, so start rugging up in late Jan and don't take them off till you get a frost. You have to also realise they never get better only worse as the years go bye. Look up the National sweet itch site they will give you a lot of advice. I had my mare for 11 years, she already had severe sweet itch when I bought her (November) so when she started rubbing I thought lice (if only) washed her down and the rubbing got worse, got vet out he said classic case of sweet itch. She could smell Benszo Ben (what ever) a mile off and I could never get near her at all, just rugging her up 24 hours a day helped( had 2 rugs so 1 I could wash) if she got upset and galloped about and sweated under her rug the itching came back, did also try several tablets or paste never could put any ointments on her. Had her put down last October, couldn't take the stress of seeing her miserable and me trying everything even the marmite sandwiches.:(:(

katherine1975

Visit site
I use a Rambo sweet itch hoody rug. I also have the waterproof liner for the rug. I use Coopers fly repellant or deosect on her tummy and around udders. And finally nettex itch stop cream on her face and ears. I also use benzyl benzoate if needed.

Tinypony

Visit site
I really sympathise with you Echo Brave. I'm trying to manage my gelding without rugging because he has the same problems when rugged that your mare had. Touch wood it's not perfect, but under control. I can completely understand why you took the difficult decision you did.
I find Sudocreme or Aloe Vera gel can help on the itched parts.

ibot

Visit site
All above very good advice, use a boett rug pricey but does last a couple of years. Benzo ben(what ever) never put on where they have rubbed themselves raw as it burns like hell, steroids make their skin thinner and the way the weather has been lately midges out earlier, so start rugging up in late Jan and don't take them off till you get a frost. You have to also realise they never get better only worse as the years go bye. Look up the National sweet itch site they will give you a lot of advice. I had my mare for 11 years, she already had severe sweet itch when I bought her (November) so when she started rubbing I thought lice (if only) washed her down and the rubbing got worse, got vet out he said classic case of sweet itch. She could smell Benszo Ben (what ever) a mile off and I could never get near her at all, just rugging her up 24 hours a day helped( had 2 rugs so 1 I could wash) if she got upset and galloped about and sweated under her rug the itching came back, did also try several tablets or paste never could put any ointments on her. Had her put down last October, couldn't take the stress of seeing her miserable and me trying everything even the marmite sandwiches.:(:(

oh bless you I am so sorry to hear that. I have cried many a day when I have gone to the yard and seen what my poor boy has done but this year I am so on top of it grrrrrr lol

ibot

Visit site
I am also using a food powder aloe vera on face as he keeps drying out there and Vaseline and sudocream where needed I have coopers fly spray in fact I think I have most things but when the flies are out I find that none of it works I also have vinegar erm pig oil which has been going around his bits which touch wood has helped so far lol :D:D

Greylegs

Visit site
I have my boy on NAF D-itch supplement which he started on in March. I use Avon SSS and Tritek14 sprays to keep the bugs off and some brilliant stuff by Nettex which was recommended by someone on here earlier in the season. Called Itch Stop Summer Releif Salve (I think). It's a balm type thing in a tub and I put it on using a small sponge anywhere he's likely to rub, which is his neck/crest. You only need to renew every few days and it's not too greasy. Worth a try. My boy had a big bald patch under his mane which I thought would never recover but now is growing a good growth of new mane so am hopeful will fully regrowth in time using the Summer Salve.

So far so good with the itching this year and he even goes out rug less now as he sweats up under a fly rub, but does wear a face/ear mask.

Good luck. It seems that different combos of things work for different horses so it's a trial and error process till you find the right things for you.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I read a thing today that said when you ride to use one of those bounce sheets somewhere on the horse flies don't like it :confused: not heard that before lol

Um, sorry being daft here, are these the "Bounce" brand-name sheets that you put in the tumble dryer??? Is this what you mean?

And what do you do with the sheet, presumably one has to wipe it across the horse's coat....... if it works then its blimmin well worth a try I'd say.

Thanks for this.

Think what OP was looking for though was a recipe for something to apply to the horse that's home-made?? Is this right OP? Coz yes I do remember it from a while back; might be worth a search on here in the archives but I dunno what you'd search under tho!

Remember when I was young an old retired MFH said a good remedy to keep nasties away was to boil up some elderberry leaves and use the liquid from that; maybe that was in the potion that was on here too.

_HP_

Visit site
A Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody , Coopers Fly Repellent Plus and electric fencing.
But above all....LOCATION!
If you can't control the sweet itch then you need to find a better location for your horse (if possible).
My cob went from desperate to managable with a location change...from a filed at the bottom of our village to one at the top.
I've known ponies that were ripping themselves to pieces in one field, barely scatch at all in another a few miles away.:)

ibot

Visit site
Hey

yes I mean the bounce sheets but you are meant to attach them to tail or bridle :confused: as I said totally bizarre but why not if it works, the article I read said one place in the world (im old and I forget :D) they hand them out to the golfers to stop the flies and then they are happy golfers and so that person did it on there horse and wham bam no flies :D
Yes I was looking for potions just need to get a spray thing first