sweetitch remedys

pegasus1986

Visit site
Its nearly that time of year again when the horses that suffer with sweetitch start scratching so anyone got any tips what to use? What do you find works the best?

Last edited:

gingernut81

Visit site
I cover my boy from head to tail with a snuggy hood sweet itch set for in the box over night and a masta bug rug out in the field with net tex stop itch salve and fly spray. He is boxed over night and out during the day. This works well for us.

ETS: I feed him molasses free alfa-a, linseed and 365 complete. His coat is much less greasy now compared to what it was so I'm hoping this will also help. :)

Last edited:

Greylegs

Visit site
The Nettex itch stop summers alive is excellent. Apply liberally wherever your horse scratches. In my case it's just along his crest, which ruins his mane. (Not a great look on a highland that's supposed to have a full mane, but I keep trying!!). Will also be getting him back on Naf D itch supplement. He had this all summer last year starting in a March (we were snowed in at the time, ironically!) but he managed to get through the summer comfortably and not have to wear his fly rugs at all. Also ... Tritek fly spray, applied liberally.

SI is one of those things where what works for one, doesn't necessarily suit another, but this regime works for my boy and I'll be sticking with it again this year.

Eta ... He's stabled at night year round and out in the day as this is the routine at the full livery yard where he's kept, but it seems to help both his SI and keep his waist line in trim .... Good luck with whatever you go for.

NellRosk

Visit site
This is what I do and it works for my girl:

-Regular mane baths as hers gets very greasy and scurfy
-Low sugar diet (which includes brewers yeast and linseed)
-Electric fence round field and no barbed wire!
-Boett on 24/7
-Benzybenzoate applied on the itchy bits but NOT on broken skin
-Sudocrem/ wondergel applied to the scabby sore bits
-Turned out all the time so she can't rub on her stable
-Regular washing of SI rug to prevent build of sweat/ smell.

I think I have everything :)

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Rambo sweet itch hoody
Brewers yeast in food
Low sugar diet
Keep her mane and tail clean as much as possible.
In at dusk and dawn
I have a fly rider for when I ride.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Rambo sweet itch hoody
Brewers yeast in food
Low sugar diet
Keep her mane and tail clean as much as possible.
In at dusk and dawn
I have a fly rider for when I ride.

This basically.

Covering up is THE most important thing you can do TBH. Also you may need to consider turnout, i.e. worst places for SI's is low-lying pasture with standing water, near woodland/valleys, BEST place is the highest you can get away from ponds/stagnant streams or lowland areas. So you might need to factor-in where yours is liveried/turned out.

Do a search on here: there's positively LOADS of advice on sweet itch!

Mine also has micronised linseed, cider vinegar, and Clivers (sticky stuff that grows in hedges, can also be got as a supplement, think Global Herbs do it??). Personally I tend to avoid expensive so-called "remedies". Been there, done it, got the t-shirt, mug, matching bra-and-knickers set.......... da de da de da:) Save your money and try the cheap and cheerful (and tried and trusted old fashioned) stuff first.

Last edited:

_HP_

Visit site
Rambo SI Hoody...electric fenced paddock...Coopers Fly Repellent Plus...out 24/7 in an exposed field

millikins

Visit site
Ours has a twice a day application of this mixture. Benzyl benzoate 500ml, liquid paraffin 100ml, meths 50ml. The Benzyl is very difficult to source, usually have to buy on line.
And obviously a good quality fly gel.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ooh yes, sorry forgot to mention Benzyl Benzoate. Proprietory brand is "Killitch" but that's the most expensive way to buy the stuff.

Also my Ned's best friend in the sweet itch season is the Power Phaser fly repellant (think Leovet is the maker of it???). The rest of the so-called "fly & midge repellants" are like knats P1ss in comparison to this one.