Sweetitch Thread AGAIN!!

ibot

Visit site
So today in the stable after i rode my lump was itching:mad::mad: please tell me its not that time of year again........ surely not yet its way to early :(

when are you all starting with the rugs and the sprays and the potions??

ibot

Visit site
i am so scared my boy has just got a mane that looks passible not for his breed but.
i have the vet coming out to do jabs on the 2nd and thats when i plan to start the ritual that is summer

PennyJ

Visit site
I am starting the Brewers Yeast tomorrow. I had also better get on and patch up the Boetts so I'm ready for when it warms up a bit more. Last year was a very good one, she did most of the summer without a rug thanks to the Brewers Yeast and location of her field (open/exposed). I'm hoping we can repeat that again this year.

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
I started my boy on supplements a few weeks ago and just ordered some lotions and potions which will go on as soon as they arrive.

The boett will go on soon. I have seen him rubbing a little on his door frame but no missing hair yet

ibot

Visit site
I am starting the Brewers Yeast tomorrow. I had also better get on and patch up the Boetts so I'm ready for when it warms up a bit more. Last year was a very good one, she did most of the summer without a rug thanks to the Brewers Yeast and location of her field (open/exposed). I'm hoping we can repeat that again this year.

wow you are very lucky i wish i could get away with just brewers yeast i am a boots for horses at my yard :D:D just call me witchy hehe

dilbert

Visit site
What supplements do people feed? My sweet itch boy has only been with me since June and was already a mess when I had him. I was thinking about rugging him from the weekend but I'm worried he'll be a bit warm.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
New Boett and mask on it's way and yes I've seen the ruddy midges and she's only just got some hair back on her face and the top part of her neck. The warm weather hasn't helped:(:(

stargirl88

Visit site
What supplements do people feed? My sweet itch boy has only been with me since June and was already a mess when I had him. I was thinking about rugging him from the weekend but I'm worried he'll be a bit warm.

I've been using global herbs ahh it's called "itch plus" I think. I'm convinced it works if you begin to feed it obvs before the fly season. If you have a fussy eater I'd avoid it though as it stinks!

You will have to rug over the summer anyway so unless he's very very hairy and will overheat then if you fell like you have to start rugging him - do so.

bumblelion

Visit site
Yep saw my id itching his back end on a tree this am! No hair missing yet! Need to get a indestructible SI rug that will fit a tank pretty soon! He's on brewers yeast already but definitely going to try a rug this year. Never rubbed himself raw but does get very itchy. Finding a rug up to the job though that's the prob as they all seem to flimsy!

carterk3

Visit site
have decided to give Cavalesse a go this year after having a year of anti-allergy injections last year that didn't seem to work. Started last week - anyone else trying this?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Start feeding either NAF D-Itch or D-tox, this will alter the horse's immune system better to deal with the allergy. Start before the gnats really get going.

Forget your usual fly sprays and get some pure Neem oil.
Neem will solidify so before use stand it in some hot water, them 5 ml neem, 3 ml liquid shampoo and add 1 L of hot water and sponge that all over the horse. This will keep the gnats and flies away. It will also alleviate itching.

The only thing I can say against neem is that it stinks! The small does wear off after a couple of hours but the effect lasts for several days. For about three weeks if you douse your dogs in it to keep fleas and tick away.

ThePony

Visit site
NO what really???? OMG that is early where are you based??

Only in glos, not near standing water or anything either!!

She doesn't get any supplements for it (but is on a mineral balanced diet) and she is rugged 24/7.

She runs hot but doesn't overheat in her rug, so I wouldn't use that as a reason not to keep a rug on a sweetitch horse - it is a rambo sweetitch hoody which feels weighty but she hasn't even sweated up in it, it almost seems to keep her cooler as it keeps the worst of the sun off her. Even if she comes into the stable then she is kept in her sweetitch rug.

If you find your horse wreaks rugs then I'd try getting a sweetitch rug on sooner rather than later (easier said than done I know!) - if you beat that first itch then you won't have to deal with trashed rugs half so much.

Flummoxed

Visit site
Cartek3 - I tried Cavalesse and wouldn't waste my money on it again. Having said that, you might just be lucky with it.

I haven't tried Naf D-Itch yet - might just give it a go.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Cartek3 - I tried Cavalesse and wouldn't waste my money on it again. Having said that, you might just be lucky with it.

I haven't tried Naf D-Itch yet - might just give it a go.

I used to use Naf D-itch but had to double dose it for it to even touch my geldings itchiness. I think its reccomended for mild sweetitch. Ended up costing me a fortune!

Flummoxed

Visit site
That's the trouble - every case is different. What works for one is useless for another and it is very much a case of trial and error. I think our case would be classed as mild (although it must be dreadful for him anyway).

I'm still trying different solutions.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yerp. Blimmin weather its been all winter the same really. I was out on Chrissmas day with my lad, putting on a sweet-itch rug (rather the worse for wear have to say, got the blimmin thing all twisted up and in a bvggers muddle), so its just been that sort of winter, one minute boiling hot, the next freezing cold. You just can't win.

I always mentally pencil in the February schools half term week as being "the week" to start putting on sweet itch rugs and being extra aware, but have been feeding a maintenance dose of brewers yeast and linseed all winter.

Luckly we're reasonably high up here and so catch the wind, but still gotta be careful.

Megibo

Visit site
Start feeding either NAF D-Itch or D-tox, this will alter the horse's immune system better to deal with the allergy. Start before the gnats really get going.

Forget your usual fly sprays and get some pure Neem oil.
Neem will solidify so before use stand it in some hot water, them 5 ml neem, 3 ml liquid shampoo and add 1 L of hot water and sponge that all over the horse. This will keep the gnats and flies away. It will also alleviate itching.

The only thing I can say against neem is that it stinks! The small does wear off after a couple of hours but the effect lasts for several days. For about three weeks if you douse your dogs in it to keep fleas and tick away.

Have been feeding D itch since Mid January! I am hoping it has some effect though this will be the first year it's been fed. We use leovet on ours, keeps the flies a mile away. And she's covered head to toe in a fly rug. Am hoping this year she gets a mane!

ETA: We use the kill itch stuff too

Wheels

Visit site
What supplements do people feed?

I'm trying my boy on Hippo Excema powder & oil this year after it was recommended by a friend - it is expensive at £120 for around 50 days of treatment but if it alleviates half of the itching we got last year it will be well worth the money!

ibot

Visit site
well had a nightmare day last year where he got to his tail as some muppet took his rug off and never told me, also attacked his mane, was not best pleased.
this year going to do lots of things tried d-itch did not notice any difference have neem oil which is pretty good. i think vet is doing switch and something else. find out next fri. so should i dig rug out? glos is only down the road im worcester :eek::eek: