Swelling on hock

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Amber has a swelling on her hock. Its about the size of an egg and is on the outside in the "hollow" of the hock.

The hock itself is not swollen and she is not lame.

I'm just worried that its an infection, having lost her foal due to a hock infection a couple of weeks ago (he had a similar swelling as well as the whole joint being inflamed and slightly warm).

I have the vet coming out on Thursday to have a look and was just wondering if it could be anything else?

Spot1

Visit site
It sounds as if your mare might have a thoroughpin, this is a bit like a wind gall, a good test is to push the swelling to see if it emerges from the inside of the hock. hence "through" pin. Interested to hear what you vet says
smile.gif

Caritas

Visit site
Sounds like a bog spavin, my horse got one about a year ago. He has never had a days lameness or trouble with it *she touches wood*. Took him to the vets and had it x rayed just to make sure he didnt have any bone fragments floating around in there and all was ok. I just ignore it now, it goes right up sometimes and then it will go down others. Just like a kind of windgall, try not to worry its more likely to be nothing to worry about. Good luck!!

aran

community.webshots.com
i agree with spotties - sounds like a thoroughpin - bog spavin is not found in the location you describe.
what did the vet say?
usually they are not a problem and don't get treated (like most windgalls - just a blemish we'd rather had never appeared!)

aran

community.webshots.com
Bog spavin is tarsocrural joint distension. There are two fluid pouches for this joint a dorsal and a medial which swell and are evident as bog spavin. If you look at the lateral side of the hock you will see these swelling on the cranial edge and at the same level but in the centre of the leg (below the point of hock - not very well described- i have a fantastic photo but its not on line!!!). If you press one the other will expand as they are connected and so the fluid will simply move.

Thoroughpin is distension of the tarsal sheath - therefore shows as a swelling in the hock groove over the calcaneal bursa (so the groove above the point of hock). If you feel down the tendon to the point of hock you will notice the swelling in the groove. If you press the swelling on the lateral side it appears on the medial side.

They are in very different locations. Bog spavin is both lateral (which is the most prominent swelling and most characteristic) and central and is below the point of hock as it is tarsocrural. Thoroughpin is a swelling in the groove above the point of hock.

The swelling on top of the point of hock (calcaneal tuber) is a capped hock - swelling of the subcutaneous bursa

The swelling at the back below the hock is a curb - inflammation and thickening of the long plantar ligament (or SDFT).

The hard swelling found on the medial side of the distal hock (distal tarsal joint)(giving the hock a more boxy appearance is bone spavin (or jack/occult which ever name you like!)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thanks for all the information everyone.

It sounds like it could be a bog spavin as it is at the right location for one, and it goes down when she is out.

The swelling is not hard, but will give a little when I press it and that doesnt seem to hurt her at all (if it did I'd know about it).

The vet is out tomorrow to have a look (my OH wants to be there too and has tomorrow off) so fingers crossed.