Swollen fetlock morning after schooling session.

Wizpop

Visit site
Hi- as title. Older horse(17) - never had a days lameness and not lame now.
A few weeks ago he started offering the wrong lead in right canter but as we were also having saddle fitting issues and he is rather lazy put it down to a combination of those things. Have since managed to work through the canter lead problem with him mostly taking the correct lead now. This morning , after a schooling session last night in which we did a lot of straightening/ suppling work, I noticed his left hind ( near side) was puffy all around the fetlock although no heat or lameness. Went for a hack and it had gone down when we got back. I’m not wanting to look for problems but just wondered if it might be a sign of something brewing, given the canter issues, so if anyone has had any experience of this I’d be grateful to hear. Many thanks.

Corbie

Visit site
A swollen fetlock is highly likely to be a tendon or ligament sprain. Either deep digital flexor tendon or suspensory ligament. If it were both sides and had worked over deep footing then might think windgalls but I'd be very cautious with this one. Not all horses show obvious lameness if swelling gone down or not too much but will no doubt feel 'not quite right'. Depending on how bad may be only lame in trot or on a circle (especially if under saddle). Canter lead issues could be down to this if horse not willing to strike off with this particular hind leg, but could also be down to bad saddle fit causing one sidedness over back as well as a multitude of other reasons. One to watch and possible vet check.

Wizpop

Visit site
Thanks Orangehorse and Corbie - I am going to chat to vet this week. I’ve had a succession of horses “ break” on me so don’t want to feel as though I’m making something out of nothing as I’m almost used to things going wrong! But I can’t help feel that something just isn’t right ......