Swollen fetlock

Chess2012

New User
Visit site
Hi I wondered if anyone can give me some advice - I have a 5year old TB mare who was kicked a few weeks ago and developed an infection in her hind leg. The vet came out and treated her with antibiotics and since she has been on box rest with the occasional walk in hand.
She has now developed a swollen fetlock in her other hind leg and I don’t know why this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this - I’m wondering if it is a fluid build up ? I will be calling the vet tomorrow I am just so worried

be positive

Visit site
Why is she still on box rest? I would expect a horse with an infection that has been treated and responded to antibiotics to be back out fairly quickly, while still on the course of antibiotics if the wound could be kept clean and wasn't stitched unless something more sinister had been found, it is probably a build up of fluid but your vet is the best person to advise you as he has seen her and may have his reasons for her remaining on box rest for weeks, I would call first thing.

Chess2012

New User
Visit site
Why is she still on box rest? I would expect a horse with an infection that has been treated and responded to antibiotics to be back out fairly quickly, while still on the course of antibiotics if the wound could be kept clean and wasn't stitched unless something more sinister had been found, it is probably a build up of fluid but your vet is the best person to advise you as he has seen her and may have his reasons for her remaining on box rest for weeks, I would call first thing.
Thanks for your reply ... sorry I should of made it more clear ... she was kicked and the infection was only apparent 2 weeks ago when I noticed it had swollen badly ... she was on antibiotics for a week so has only been on box rest for 2 weeks. The reason being to keep the wound clean.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
TBH I think you need to confirm the treatment protocol with your vet. If the box rest is just to keep the wound clean I would expect a walk out in hand twice a day to keep the rest of the horse healthy.