swollen glands

siennamiller

Visit site
Does anyone else have horse with swollen glands. I am wondering if it is
a. change of season/weather
b. new grass coming thru
c. a virus. My gelding did tie up a couple of weeks which apparently could be caused by a virus, he also seems a bit quiet?

leanne123

Visit site
one of mine had swollen glands a while since worried me a bit as i thought it could have been strangles.as there had been a few new horses come and go from yard. had vet out took a blood test and gave him some antibiotics. turned out it was only a virus he was very lathargic ect too. bloods were fine and after his antibiotics got to work he was as right as rain.

siennamiller

Visit site
have had no new horses on yard so hopefully not that.
I'm wondering if he is just calmer as he is on electrolytes now which contain magnesium! He seems happy to canter when asked ( I am not pushing him, just letting him set his own pace)

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He seems happy to canter when asked ( I am not pushing him, just letting him set his own pace)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nice jogging when I have swollen glands is so much better then running.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
you are so rude gts
laugh.gif

they are probably swollen cos the new grass has come thru, that is what normally happens with him. I was just wondering why he was quite quiet as well ( as in not spooking) but thinking about it as I said above the electrolytes are probably having some effect ( magnesium=calming?!)

I am just wondering why he is not pulling etc in canter but the electrolytes and him being on the epsm diet ( which would stop him leaning on me) are probably having an effect is all
Thanks for your useful advice tho
tongue.gif

GTs

Visit site
So now you have a horse with swollen glands, who is uncharacteristically quiet, and not using his head and neck probably and you are still riding him?

*scratches head*

siennamiller

Visit site
he is using his head and neck properly-he just isn't leaning on my hands like he has done in the past, he is still forward going, just not as spooky as he can be
I took him for a gentle walk and had one VERY steady canter as he was happy to do( he wanted to go on more than I would let him)
I wondered if it was all connected to the swollen glands but having checked the others at the yard two of them have swollen glands and are absolutely fine, still full of themselves so I guess I was right to say it is just the grass coming thru causing it and that other aspects of his diet are causing him to be a bit calmer

Prudence

Visit site
Unfortunately, this is the problem with internet forums.....

I agree though - probably just the grass coming through.

GTs

Visit site
Why is it because you have deduced what caused it, made it OK to ride the horse? I would imagine with swollen glands there is discomfort, much like us having a sore throat, and I would not want to do anything physical if I was like that!

siennamiller

Visit site
because he has epsm and I have been advised to ride the horse as often as possible(even twice daily), he does get this quite regularly so in his case it is not practical to not exercise him. Thought you would have know that seeing as you know everything-my mistake!!

Peanot

Visit site
My horse sometimes comes in from the field with her jowl a little swollen behind her cheeks. It is gone completely in the mornings. I have noticed it over the last couple of days, but it isn`t every day. She hasn`t had it through the summer. Must be the grass coming through, like you`ve already guessed.
wink.gif