Swollen glands

luane1

Visit site
Anyone experience of a horse with swollen neck glands, he is definately off colour and feeling sorry for himself but still eating and doesn't have a cough.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Can be lots of things really... Any discharge from the nose? Does he have a temperature? And (not to worry you) are there any signs of early absesses anyway round the glands or under the jaw?

luane1

Visit site
He has a temperature, very slight clear discharge from nose, no signs of abscesses around the glands or under the jaw. I remember that he had swollen glands three years aog and we put him on antibiotics and eventually he developed an abscess on his lip which then burst after about 3 weeks

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
It could be something and nothing and it may just pass. Gland iritation alone isnt *too* much concern but with a temperature also...

How high is his temperature? Above a certain point and it becomes adviseable to consult with a vet at least to try and get it down.

Keep an eye on the disharge for changing yellow....

Is he kept with others and is anything else looking off colour?

Any remote chance it could be strangles? (anything new come on the yard.. any cases close by etc)

luane1

Visit site
Didn't take temperature but it is certainly raised and he is very warm and the day here is cold. Nothing new on yard and we haven't been anywhere for ages. He lives in and only gets 30 mins turnout in sand paddock at the moment. No cases of strangles in the area that we know of. I spoke to the vet and he said to report tomorrow if he doesn't eat or coughs but while he was eating he didn't appear worried. He has his own stable in a line of 3 in a yard of 30 and the other two appear fine though I told their owners to look out.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Id go with your vet's advice. Poor horsey is obviously off colour but as you said, he's eating.

It really could be something terribly minor thats caused an irritation and Id be more concerned if he had other symptoms (like yellowish discharge from his nose etc).

See how he is tomorrow and decide from there.. Just keep an eye on the temperature too as if it gets too high, its safer to have the vet out to prescribe something to lower that. Horses' bodies dont cope well with temperatures.

luane1

Visit site
Thanks I am not panicking yet and I will watch the temperature and the nose, he just let us know he wasnt feeling the best kep leaning his head on my shoulder and sighing but wasnt' sure whether he just wanted another carrot