Swollen grass glands that never go down

Marigold4

Visit site
I have a connie x 14 year old mare who has equally sized permanently enlarged grass/salivary glands. She has had them for the 5 years that I've owned her. Winter/spring/summer/autumn makes no difference to size. If I squeeze them they are not painful but lumps are large and must surely be uncomfortable. I've shown them to the vet and he just says they are harmless grass glands. Horse has pollen allergy in late spring summer. Has anyone had this? Any thoughts? Ask vet to investigate further? Try feed changes?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If they’re not bothering her and the vet is ok with them then I’d leave well alone. Does she display any behaviour that indicates they are painful or uncomfortable?

HashRouge

Visit site
Are you sure they are swollen/ enlarged? Some horses just have more pronounced glands than others.

If you think they are swollen, I'm surprised you've not asked the vet to take a look in the 5 years you've owned her!

Marigold4

Visit site
Are you sure they are swollen/ enlarged? Some horses just have more pronounced glands than others.

If you think they are swollen, I'm surprised you've not asked the vet to take a look in the 5 years you've owned her!

I have shown them to the vet (see original post halfway through) and he said not to worry. It's just that she snorts and sneezes so much when ridden, I 've begun to wonder if they are a sign that she has an allergy that we are not responding to. I have pointed them out to several people, none of whom seem concerned, so maybe I shouldn't be either.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Is she grey? Some can have melanomas in this area. They would not be painful and can go for years without causing problems. They do usually become a problem in the end. I guess two equal sized ones makes that less likely, but not impossible.

Marigold4

Visit site
If they’re not bothering her and the vet is ok with them then I’d leave well alone. Does she display any behaviour that indicates they are painful or uncomfortable?
It's just that she sneezes and snorts so much when ridden I wondered if it was a sign that she was suffering from an allergy that we were not responding to. So it's what they tell me about her health rather than the actual lumps I'm worried about.

Marigold4

Visit site
Is she grey? Some can have melanomas in this area. They would not be painful and can go for years without causing problems. They do usually become a problem in the end. I guess two equal sized ones makes that less likely, but not impossible.
Thankfully not grey and both glands are equally enlarged, so don't think melanoma.