Swollen leg - bandage or vet?

HorselessM

New User
Visit site
My horse has suffered quite badly from mudfever recently, but it is nearly all healed now.
smile.gif

However, yesterday morning when i got him out of the stable his back leg (same leg as mud fever) was quite swollen. I put him out hoping it had just filled and would go down. It did go down, but not as much as normal. Again, this morning, his leg is swollen and warm to the touch. He doesn't like it touched but is not walking too bad on it. I'm going to leave him out tonight to see if that helps but i'm just wondering if you have any suggestions?

I was thinking of bandaging the leg, or maybe cold-hosing it tonight when i bring him in for his tea if his leg is still swollen.

Don't know what to do for the best - think i shall be calling the vet for advice tomorrow if its still swollen.

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
if he doesnt like it touched and is swollen then it is possible there may be an infection by the sound of it. i would cold hose not bandage. speak to vet tomorrow if not down or your farrier. i am normally cautious with anything swollen. try to avoid him running around on leg too much as well

Fairynuff

Visit site
I would cold hose it twice a day and put bandages on. If its no better by Monday Id call the vet. It could be an infection or lymphangitis. Id also walk him out in hand a couple of times a day to keep the circulation going. Good luck
smile.gif
Mairi.