Swollen leg

nutjob

Visit site
I've had a horse with lymphangitis which started like this, no obvious wound and only in one hind leg. The leg was very hot and got rapidly worse. I also had one with cellulitis, this started in one leg but by the time the vet arrived (within 4 hours) was very obvious in both hinds, again legs very hot. Both of these are veterinary emergencies.

In both these conditions the respective horses went VERY lame, the lymphangitis one was barely able to move until the drugs kicked in.

Hopefully it's not either of these but you do need advice from your vet.

Equi

Visit site
As said many possibilities. If it is lymphangitis the vet will need to come asap, it is an excruciating ailment.

Ricedance

Visit site
is it pitting? I’d be calling my vet first thing and getting it looked at. As others said lymphangitis is painful and serious but it could be anything at all, can you post a pic?

Asha

Visit site
Could be mud fever . Sometimes it’s very hard to find a scab/cut . One of mine presented the same . She had some antibiotics and was fine

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Mine knocked himself yesterday. Just a small cut, I noticed it because it bled a bit. It's a little swollen and is warm this morning but I know what it is so it isn't a worry. Also as Asha says, could be mud fever. It only takes a very small cut/ scab. Hope it resolves itself soon.

Richards2000

New User
Visit site
Hi, sorry my photo would not send, I found that if he bangs his legs/ do fast canter work they swell. Now I know this I am keeping on to top of it now. Thankyou