swollen legs update!!!

_daisy_

Visit site
well got home and went straight down to see her. Fetched her in and she could hardly walk up the field
crazy.gif
(it is very steep at the top) well she was sound but there was absolutely no definition to NH leg. Completely swollen from just below hock all way down to her hoof. So cold hosed her and put the cold boots on her fronts as all her other legs were slightly puffy.
So called vet whilst cold hosing, he thought from what i told him she might have an infection in her leg so said hed be with me in 1 hr
smile.gif
. So put her in the stable with cool gel on her legs. She sweated up something cronic - absolutely dripping off her. She was lathered and really stressed.
mad.gif

He arrived. Examined her, checked her temperature and no probs. Trotted her up and she wasnt lame but stiff - not coming through as much as her OH. He thinks that the reason her 3 legs are slightly swollen is because her NH is stiff she wont be wanting to walk around much.
So shes on 4 days anitbiotics to see how she goes and 24/7 turnout still. He also thought that i should take her off her feed and just let her have grass. He says it could be making her stress more than she does naturally but obviuosly it isnt really helping her. Also he thinks that it might be contradicting itself because im trying to put/keep weight on her but its making her more highly stung (stress wise) and shes burning it off faster.
crazy.gif
So shes just having enough feed to eat her anitbiotics. Had her 1st dose last night and she went back into the field like shed been in the stable for years!!! Can still ride her but to keep it slow and not go out for long rides till her leg is sorted.

This morning her NH isnt half as bad as it was yesterday morning and the others are pretty much back to normal. Shes let me clear her face up as well (which she wasnt wanting me to do yesterday) checked her legs over and put some more cool gel on.

Thanks to everyone who replied yesterday. Your comments really helped.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ahh, poor old thing - Interesting comment about the feed vs keeping weight on - which does make sense.

Let's hope it clears up quickly for you.

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers amymay - hopefully it will clear up straight away. I thought the same thing about the feed but the further we got into the conversation the more i thought it was right.
well fingers crossed for her

WallisM

Visit site
Hi There,
Well as soon as the Antibiotics kick in the leg will go down pretty much straight away, It's good that you can still put her out and ride mine was in for 6 weeks I was sick of buying batteries for the radio hahahaha.
laugh.gif

But don't worry your neddie will be fine just give it time.
wink.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks Jimbo for replying.
I took her out for a hack yesterday - just stook to walk. Her leg was fine no lamenes or anything. This morning is back to normal no heat, swelling or anything. Fingers crossed that shell be fine when shes finished her course of anitibiotics.