swollen sheath help!

merlin12

Visit site
I have a shirexcob gelding . He gets this problem each summer due to the flies . They congregate around his sheath he kicks at them and bruises his sheath ,which becomes swollen and lumpy. I can usually keep it under control by using summer fly cream ,fly spray etc. If I could stop him kicking himself the problem would be solved.

He is worse this year .The vet has been out he has had a course of antibiotics and bute .I cold hose twice a day apply summer fly cream keep him clean etc. He has access to 2 shelters to get away from the flies. The vet wanted him left out as she thought walking about would help the swelling. I will be calling the vet out again.

I think I need to keep him in during the day . Try a fly rug ,although it won,t cover the effected parts. Probably more bute.

Has anyone got a horse with the same problem?

Has anyone got any ideas on what to do next?

I believe it is a problem with Draught type horses.

Foxford

Visit site
If you get a fly rug that's quite deep, it should help a little. It's happened to my boy once, but like you I got the vet out and a bit of bute later he was fine in a couple of days. Unfortunately once there is swelling in that area the effects of gravity mean it will take a while to get back to normal.

Hope your boy is better soon.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have a young ID stallion with the same problem - although I'm not sure flies are to blame as it doesn't stay 'settled down' in the winter. Vets haven't been able to find anything wrong - it's been poked, prodded, scanned, you name it!! Hosing inside and out at least twice a day usually keeps it manageable but even then it sometimes blows up to 3 times normal size and HOT and HARD. He's had it for about 3 years now - can settle for a month or more and then - for no reason we can fathom - away it goes again!!

merlin12

Visit site
His sheath settles in winter to a normal size but still hard in places . It does n't seem to worry him.He seems big in that area anyway. I 'm sure its to do with his breeding and build.Janet George does your stallion kick at his sheath area?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
His sheath settles in winter to a normal size but still hard in places . It does n't seem to worry him.He seems big in that area anyway. I 'm sure its to do with his breeding and build.Janet George does your stallion kick at his sheath area?

Ooh - heavens no. Prince is far too well mannered to kick anywhere. In fact he's too well-mannered to cover mares too - as that would require standing on his hind legs - and he's NEVER done that in his life. He does love jumping so we're considering painting coloured poles on the mares' bums - and riding him to them!:D

Marydoll

Visit site
I have a gelding who has had this on and off for 10 years, vet couldnt find anything just said sheath oedema, it goes down when he moves around more and also in the cooler weather, its never caused him any upset and he's never tried to kick himself

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Look at Premier Equine they do/did a sheath cover to fit to fly rugs

Ehmmm, sorry if I'm being dense here..... but how does the horse pee with one of these on???

The only other observation I have is that I'd personally be careful if using fly sprays in a horse's nether regions as if there's already a sensitivity issue, you could just be making the whole thing worse???

Hope you can sort this for yours OP, it sounds awful. Poor horse.

holeymoley

Visit site
I'd definitely recommend bringing in during the day. Also smother it with Sudocream to give the beasties a bit of a barrier.