swollen sheath

Snowberry

Visit site
Firstly do not try and google it !!! eeuuuwww!!!!

Secondly, we went get Glen in today and he has a really swollen sheath. He actually looks like a stallion again, its that swollen!!
I've had a good look and cant see anything (no ticks. bites, obvious injuries etc..)

Anyone have any idea? What should I do? Immediate reaction was to hose it but then worried that that was probably quite mean!!! He doesnt seem in any distress by it but doesnt look particularly happy either!
He is already on some Bute for his injury to his leg (not sure that'll make a difference but...)
So what should I do? Any ideas??
(sorry for sounding so thick but never had a swollen sheath before!!)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
A horse on a yard I used to be on had this, his sheath was massive, the owner waited a few days then called the vet who gave him anti-b's and bute I think.

Irishcobs

Visit site
My gelding swells up a bit in the heat if I haven't cleaned it for a while. I find if I give it a good clean the swelling goes. Not sure if it will help your boy though.

Snowberry

Visit site
he's already on bute and just finished one course of anti biotics!!

Poor old Glen, he's never been sick or sorry in the years we've had him but the minute we move onto a livery yard he's had everything!!
frown.gif

Snowberry

Visit site
I've never cleaned Glen's willy
shocked.gif
He's 23 this year and never had a problem thou.
Just off to the stables to give him some dinner and will give it a wash to see if that helps. Thanks

legend

Visit site
I think Irish Cobs must be right about the heat, my boy was exactly the same a couple of weeks ago, had a very hot and swollen sheath. I got the vet, as he has sweet itch anyway and i'd seen him rubbing it on the grass while rolling (looks very funny, like he was having sex with the floor
blush.gif
) and i was worried he may have got some sort of foreign body in there. I never normally clean his sheath either, as have tried before and it was dangerous. Weirdly tho, he LOVED having the vet clean it for him, had a couple of days antibiotic cover and (touch wood) has been fine since. My friends gelding has just had exactly the same thing and she's miles away from us, apparently it is widespread this year. Hope your boy is ok!

spider

community.webshots.com
This happened to my boy last year and he also came up in lumps all over. the vet reckoned it was an allergic reation to an insect bite. We hosed his sheath and that helped the swelling.

marmite

Visit site
have you really never cleaned it? maybe that has something to do with it i have to do jays every 6 months or he gets wax all down his back legs.

Snowberry

Visit site
No, I have never ever cleaned it and at the grand age of 23 I cant see why I would want to start!!
I was always told that you can cause more problems by cleaning it, spreading infection etc...
Anyway, just got back from yard and had a good poke about underneath him and after much searching I found a tick!! eeuuuwww............Managed to detatch it (still in tact) and squidge it!! Hosed him off and he seemed a bit happier. Not sure if that was cos I was rummaging in his nether regions or the tick was removed or maybe both??!!
Will have a look in the morning and see if its any better

Irishcobs

Visit site
Yep I would guess that was it then. My mare had one on her udder and it blew up like a baloon. I removed the tick and applied anticeptic cream for a couple of days and the swelling went.

Sooty

Visit site
The current way of thinking regarding sheath cleaning is - don't do it!!! Unless there is a significant problem, the sheath area will clean itself and interfering with it destroys the delicate balance of the area.

Snowberry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The current way of thinking regarding sheath cleaning is - don't do it!!! Unless there is a significant problem, the sheath area will clean itself and interfering with it destroys the delicate balance of the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

YAY!!!! I am not a bad mummy!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Glen's sheath is almost back to normal size now so was obviously a reaction to the tick!! Horrid little bug!!
mad.gif
mad.gif