SWUO - One Step Closer to Our Goal!

JAK

Visit site
Now.......SWUO's 'bete noire' has always been......the saddle! Or perhaps more accurately, the girth! Soon as she feels it tighten around her, she's in fighting mode & the second you're in the saddle, you're off again & lying in the dirt!

Today, we put LBO's saddle on her - no problem!
We quietly fastened a girth to it - no problem!
We carefully passed the girth underneath her - no problem!
We did it up (very loosely! LOL) - no problem!
We slowly tightened it up - no problem!
We walked her round a bit - no problem!

YO & ex-livery (a confident rider who's been catapaulted off said pony at speed on several occasions!) asked if we were going to sit on her - answer "Hell no!"
Child however was insistent she would be OK, so one leg up later &.........

P8060012.jpg

Middle daughter is the first person to have sat on this pony, on a saddle (& actually stay on for more than 2.5 seconds! LOL) in several............years!!!

Next step......a bridle! Will we ever achieve our simple goal of being able to actually ride her round the outdoor school, unaided & in full tack?
Who knows? Keep watching for the next truly rivetting instalment! LOL

p.s. Yes, saddle is too long for her but child was not intending to sit on her originally & was only on her for a couple of minutes!

S_N

Visit site
WOW!!! That is just AWESOME!!! All kudos to you and your kids JAK!!!!

SWNSUO really does look like butter wouldn't melt!

JAK

Visit site
Thank you - we were soooo proud of her - but it has taken us months to get this far with her & any forum members that don't know us will probably find this all unbelieveably strange!
grin.gif

JAK

Visit site
Eldest daughter is the brave one who's done all the leading round & middle daughter is the brave one who has done all the leaning over, pinging up & down next to her & eventually sitting on her!

A (very! LOL) rare example of sibling co-operation!
grin.gif

Me? Well, I did do the saddle/girth today (in case she exploded!) but mostly I work out strategies/weekly plans etc. for her & give orders! LOL

JAK

Visit site
Hhmm, yes, well - I have infinite patience with ponies!
Poor OH would just get "Can you do it or not? Can you do it now? Why not? Just do it, dammit, now, today, yesterday.....!"
shocked.gif
blush.gif

ruscara

Visit site
I know you said 'rivetting instalment' in a sarcastic tone, but I for one am most interested in your progress with this pony. It is such an achievement, and without being patronising, I feel it is a great life lesson for your daughters, teaching patience, kindness and courage (and co-operation!).
I am just sorry you had to add your disclaimer at the end - 'yes, saddle is too long ........', as if you expect someone to criticize you for something!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am just sorry you had to add your disclaimer at the end - 'yes, saddle is too long ........', as if you expect someone to criticize you for something!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, sadly, I am quite paranoid that people will say "Bl**dy woman, no wonder it bucks, look at its saddle!" LOL
(Was the smallest I could find for the purpose of doing up a girth - am going to see if I can find a secondhand one for her!)

Thank you for all your kind comments - they are all most encouraging!
smile.gif

wodger_woo

Visit site
BL**DY HELL!!!! I am totally in awe of you and your girls. I know SWUO from years back and to me that picture is a true miracle. From what I can remember nobody has sat on her like that and not told the tale from the floor!
She's obviously enjoying herself as well look at her little face.
I hope it continues JAK

Edited to add, let me know what size saddle you want for her, I may have one that may be suitable to lend you - its a synthetic and very light so may help

JM7

Visit site
good job the disclaimer IS there..you could start a riot, JAK!!

fingers crossed here..i know from experience how "awkward" little ones can be!!!!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
BLOODY HELL!!!! I am totally in awe of you and your girls. I know SWUO from years back and to me that picture is a true miracle. From what I can remember nobody has sat on her like that and not told the tale from the floor!
She's obviously enjoying herself as well look at her little face.
I hope it continues JAK

[/ QUOTE ]
Hurrah - proof that she is not always of the 'butter wouldn't melt' variety! (Not that I think nobody believes me but I'm thrilled that someone who has seen her 'in action' knows I'm not exaggerating either!)
grin.gif

And yes, she's very happy now I think & we will never part with her - S. knew a soft touch when she saw one & 'persuaded' me to take her over! LOL
She loves attention, loves kids & although she's quick with her teeth & has a wicked temper on occasions, is very gentle & loving most of the time & we are all very fond of the little tyke!
smile.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
good job the disclaimer IS there..you could start a riot, JAK!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Eek - this is what I mean!
shocked.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

(I hope they won't make me leave the forum for this! Will I be reported to admin/RSPCA/the Sun newspaper?)

*runs to hide in cupboard under the stairs!*