Sycamore trees (& potential to poison all equines) flagging-up related issues

Lincsblogger

New User
Visit site
My first post & I hope that I have chosen the right (or at least best) section within the forums (the vet section, as this involves a potentially fatal poisoning of equines):

We read an article in a competitive publication (so not H&H but they too, I think, have done articles on this subject) highlighting the dangers of sycamore tree seeds and the potential for poisoning our much loved equines. In our case we had 5 trees that were well-placed to have their helicopters (seeds) flutter down onto grazing areas. One was a large mature tree that one would not ever have wished to fell. The second was smallish in size next to the aforementioned (both being on the edge of a narrow roadway but owned by us). 3 others were more or less in a row, young and really quite small and well within our land boundary i.e. ON OUR SIDE and some feet from a neighbour's fence. We gave much thought and some consternation to arrive, reluctantly, at the decision to fell the trees (all five). Because we thought villagers might be taken aback at the sudden felling of two laneside trees (although we owned them & indeed all of the trees concerned and none had TPOs) we put up (for a few days) posters on several trees in a simple pictorial form of a smiley face saying this tree is OK & not poisonous to horses & equines. On the five, about to be felled, we put up a downcast unsmiley face with similar words to: I am poisonous to horses and equines. Out of courtesy (ha ha - some would say silly us) we wrote a very polite simple letter to our directly adjacent neighbour (as we were as concerned for their equine's - mostly donkeys well-being as well as our own horses) explaining that we were undertaking treework to eradicate the potential issue of the poisoning of our horses (and by the way, the neighbour owns 30 acres of so-called donkey sanctuary so their equines/donkeys/horses/mules etc. etc. would, we emphasise, also be at risk). Naturally we thought that they'd be pleased and even delighted that we volunteered to pay for the treework (which of course effectively meant that we had no other choice but felling). Then, on the very day of the politely pre-announced felling (in fact after the felling by some hours) we had 2 solicitors' letters from the donkey sanctuary accusing us of trespass and suggesting we were committing criminal damage. We were also tipped-off that that same sanctuary had (I might say for the second time in the last couple of years as police incident numbers record) also launched a vicious FB hate campaign stating such things as we were stealing their land and much general and personal abuse (all of which we have had to record and show to the police). The alerted police went round to the so-called sanctuary and asked for proof of their ownership of the 3 relevant trees which obviously was not forthcoming otherwise presumably I would be awaiting my trial for criminal damage (the police were totally unimpressed - no crime or offence to answer - of course). I should perhaps state that we are not FB members and even if we were we would not join in with the frightfully abusive posts, shares, replies and comments etc. as in our view FB is a great platform for abusers to have free rein (excuse that unintentional pun maybe) with the victims of that abuse having little if any redress as FB rules are very weak and it is only recently that they have got in an official charity to try to identify fake news items after years of criticism directed at FB. Of course causing a rumpus (as our neighbours did) brings in both sympathy (from gullible supporters) and (lifestyle supporting) donations to so called sanctuaries that appear either as charities or so called not for profit organisations. So why am I putting this out there? Simple: to help and hopefully pre-protect others that may be responsible horse owners like us that may wish to fell sycamore trees (despite being tree lovers like us) to protect not only their own but other owners' equines but who end up being victims of abuse for their trouble. Be warned. Closing remark ... we had been trying (in a losing battle) for years to collect up all the seeds but in the end it becomes, sadly, more practical to fell the trees: it was a difficult choice but the right choice - but when you do some things you think you'll be thanked for - you may end-up being abused for that responsible act!

brightmount

Visit site
Absolutely no need to justify your actions. Sycamore trees are fast-growing weeds. Atypical myopathy is a very real danger as all horse owners should know by now. Sycamore seeds spread a very long way. You did the responsible thing and bore the cost. The End.

meleeka

Visit site
I would have no hesitation in felling a tree and wouldn’t even feel the need to inform my neighbours. The trees may be lovely and old but if they are at risk of killing my horses they’d have to go (I do feel slightly guilty about felling a field maple when I thought it might be a sycamore ☺️

Mule

Visit site
Out of curiosity, were sycamores always known to be problematic or has atypical myopathy become more common?

holeymoley

Visit site
I'll admit I don't know much about the whole atypical myopathy and sycamore trees. I really need to educate myself more into it, however my horse and many others grazed a field with a sycamore tree in it for years and never once showed any signs of anything(this was before it all came to light). A friend's horse around 6 years ago grazed it and became drastically ill over night, rapidly went downhill and died and the vet said it was unknown but the signs of 'grass sickness'. My owner firmly believes it could've been atypical myopathy and is very wary of any sycamore trees. I just wonder if there could be a reason why only some horses have a reaction to it...

asmp

Visit site
After horses grazing our yard's fields for years we had a pony (not mine) go down with sycamore poisoning in November a couple of years ago. Pony survived after a few days at the vets. The farmer then took down all the sycamore trees, some which were next to the main road. Sad that the large old trees had to be felled but the horses safety came first. You did the right thing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The moral of the story is; only ever involve your neighbours in your plans if you have a legal duty to do so.

Ponymum, thanks for the link, we have a couple of sycamore trees and I will be using the testing service, although our sheep are very good at 'hoovering up' all the seeds in autumn.