Sycamores

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I got a real surprise this morning when I noticed some of the sycamores on a nearby lane are already dropping seeds, and/or they've been blown off by the recent gales. Fortunately we don't have any nearby the field anymore but I wouldn't have been checking for them so early on. Out of about 8 trees 3 of them were full with seeds with plenty of them on the ground.

deb_l222

Visit site
Early summer is the normal time of year for sycamore trees to shed their seed pods. The only tree that sheds seed pods in the autumn is the ash tree.

L&M

Visit site
I must admit I assumed the seedlings came off in early autumn....but like the op, recently noticed that the trees round the house are laden with seedlings.

However the sycamores in the new field we are renting have none which I am hoping is a good sign. We hammered 'copper nails' into them back in early spring them so possibly they are starting to take affect?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Early summer is the normal time of year for sycamore trees to shed their seed pods. The only tree that sheds seed pods in the autumn is the ash tree.

That's interesting, I had no idea. I only knew the general info that Autumn for seeds and Spring for seedlings where the times to watch out for. Until last year we had two trees bordering our field which I kept a close eye on and they never had seeds on before middle of August.