Symptoms similar to 'tying up' but not?

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Hi all,

After a little bit of help for a friend of mine. Her horse (2 days ago) started showing syptoms similar to that of a horse thats tied up.
The vet has been out and is waiting to run some bloods on Weds but has diagnosed ESM I think its called.
My friend went and looked this condition up and none of the symptoms match up.
This is a fit horse who is out in the day and in at night. He was last worked on Thursday and was fab inb the school then out of the blue he is very stiff and tucked up. He is eating and drinking normally and is bright and alert although clearly in a lot of pain.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Do you mean EMS (Equine metabolic Syndrome) or ESM, which I'm not sure of?

Someone on here thought one of her horses was tying up the other day, but the vet said it was laminitis - which would be similar to EMS.. One of our old ponies got EMS after lami, and was also fit and working - not fat at all..

scewal

Visit site
I would be looking at ruling out laminitis too. My mare was first diagnosed with tying up but it turned out to be laminitis.

Garfield1537

Visit site
Had very similar in my horse and turned out to be laminitis! He is 16.3hh never ever had before. Used to live out 24/7 and for the first time ever got this year he is 17! I was quite shocked but apparently large horses show behind with a very short, stiff gait! Hope you manage to solve.