Systemic Bute - How young is too young?

quirky

Visit site
At what age would you go down the systemic bute for arthritic changes?

Horse suffered injuries to front legs prior to being owned by me. This has resulted in arthritic changes in the fetlocks. She also has arthritic changes in hocks, these have been medicated twice, once in 2010 and again 3 months ago.

She has a quiet life, mainly hacking as I wish her to 'keep going' as long as possible, rather than hammer her into the ground prematurely.

Having never had a horse on long term bute, I am looking for opinion as to how young is too young to go down this route. The alternative is to retire I guess :(

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I am interested in the replies you get. I have a young horse with aggressive ringbone sadly. I am hoping for fusion of the joint to bring soundness. I am feeding Devils Claw and Premier Flex HA plus and using a magnetic wrap currently. We will have her xrayed again in 6 months time.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My hunter was an insurance write off age 9 (pedalostisis) sorry about the spelling. He did another 11 seasons. He had one bute a day until he was about 16 and then 2 as he got stiffer in general. I retired him because he became trippy and unable to stay off his forehand.

He was pts aged 29, still on his bute which had increased significantly as he got older. He did not have any side effects, he maintained his weight until he was around 26 and his teeth started to fail him.

wyrdsister

Visit site
If the horse is comfortable on bute and happy to keep working, I'd probably go with it whenever it was needed to be honest. I had one of my mares on it from 8 years old (catalogue of problems including KS and SI damage). She's off it now - because she's retired and has been for 2 years (now 14). We actually used Danlion, which is slightly gentler on the liver and just kept an eye on her overall state of health to make sure there weren't any side effects. It's not an ideal scenario, but while she was still keen to keep going it didn't seem to be an unreasonable trade-off.

quirky

Visit site
These answers make me feel better as she is 8 now. Sadly, she has been 'off' since about 4 years old.
She isn't too bad, she's just not right :(

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If she can have a useful ridden life on one bute a day, then id do it - retiring her the minute you needed more.

Tobiano

Visit site
My boy Harry was diagnosed with bilateral hock spavins aged 8, had an operation, and since about age 9 1/2 he has been on one danilon a day. (now 11 1/2) Personally I would far rather he had a comfortable interesting life than hobbled about. Vet is very happy with him, Harry is very happy, he works beautifully, we just wont be going to the Olympics! Small risk of liver / kidney damage further down the line but am advised this is quite remote. Honestly I would give danilon and preserve quality of life. Good luck.

Boulty

Visit site
I would say that if it will prolong / make easier the working life of the horse then go for it. Better to have 4 or 5 good years than 10 years in pain. I had a pony on bute from 12 to 18 for the reason of arthritis which sadly did deteriorate in the end to the point where nothing was helping him and didn't feel it was fair to let him keep limping on.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What are you options? I think If a horse needs a pain killer what ever age it should be given. Simply because the alternative it pain.
I'd not be entirely happy about the situation but its got to be in the horses best interest.

Goldenstar

Visit site
What are you options? I think If a horse needs a pain killer what ever age it should be given. Simply because the alternative it pain.
I'd not be entirely happy about the situation but its got to be in the horses best interest.

I would give the bute , better a shorter life pain free than suffering chronic discomfort .
I have know horses go a very very long time with no issues .
However if it where me I would give Danilon not bute it's better for long term use.
You may be able to give drug holidays and give her short breaks with no work and give no medication when the conditions are right , ground , weather you will know her best .
It's also worth considering magnetic boots as I have seen these use to great effect on some.