Tack cleaning businesses - do these exist?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Just looking at my pile of tack and thinking :( about cleaning it all. I'd really like to give it a good treatment before it goes into storage but I neither have the inclination or good treatments to use on it.

Anyway just wondering if there are such things as tack cleaners - who you can send your tack to for a overhaul or even just week by week cleaning if you're as lazy as I can be :D

Answers on a postcard please?

JustKickOn

Visit site
I don't know of any near me, but then again I have never searched for them. Then again, I love tack cleaning and always got top marks for how clean my tack was in best turned out years ago :p

skye_and_i

Visit site
I hated tack cleaning, especially after a muddy days hunting. I've a friend down south who does it, advertises on fb and in local free adds ect, there's a link on my fb page that is in my siggy.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Haven't heard of any, I clean and treat most of my saddlery repairs I have in free of charge as part of the service, once I have fixed it that is, years ago I flocked up a saddle on site for a customer and she needed some new girth straps as well but I didn't have all my tools etc with me so I took it back to my workshop to do it. I cleaned and treated her saddle so successfully that when I took it back she didn't recognise it and thought I had brought another customer's saddle back to her by accident!
I am sure some people would love you to clean their tack but whether or not they would be willing to pay for all your hard work I don't know, you can but try, can't you.
Oz :)

black_horse

Visit site
Im really lucky in that my current yard offers a tack cleaning service, this was sorely needed at my old yard :S. I found it so hard to work full time and do a NVQ3 in my spare time, and ride, and compete, and have some sort of social life, so much to my mothers horror i hardly ever tack cleaned!

I did a quick search on thee old laptop and came across this lil number (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tack-Fairy/297750700266798) The Tack Fairy..... i have an image of a little fairy cleaning my tack if i left it outside my room at night. :D (i tried this, never happened -.-)

black_horse

Visit site
Don't tempt me;):D

I thought a tenner was pretty good to keep 2 saddles and 3 bridles clean - especially if they were wiped over once a week:rolleyes:

No bloody work ethic some kids:mad::mad:

TBF i would charge a tenner per item...would ruin my nails darling ;)

@Clover - let me know when you hear back, got a few old bits of tack i need to be treated before storing them...

black_horse

Visit site
Tack Fairy?! I NEED a tack fairy!

I hate cleaning tack... d'ya think tack fairy can fly? If so, may have to get in touch with air-traffic control and organise a landing slot in Norn Iron... :D

Looking at your horse, he needs a dry cleaners with that dress :O

Must get awfully muddy out in that field!

zoon

Visit site
If anyone in Kent wants their tack done, I have particularly clean and shiney tack and wouldn't mind cleaning some more :)

JenHunt

Visit site
anyone in Yorkshire want to come and sort this little lot out for me?

03012012143.jpg

03012012148.jpg

i promise you, that girth is black underneath the mud! :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I hate tack cleaning too.

We have a Sunday groom, but this summer our horses lived out so there was nothing to do. To keep her ticking over, we got her to clean tack instead. She did three sets instead of three stables. We paid her £10-£15 (she got £10 until she was 18, then we paid her £15).

starryeyed

Visit site
I thought about doing this over the summer to try and get some more money in, but I couldn't find anyone vaguely interested!!!
...I know what I'll be re-trying this year , you've all given me hope! ;)

SpruceRI

Visit site
This is very interesting, as I was talking to a friend just a few months back, told her I thinking of setting up a tack cleaning business. And she said no one would pay me to clean their tack!!

You see I'd ideally want to do it at home in the evenings in front of the tele, having done my other work during the day. Would probably need to go and pick the tack up from clients, and deliver back - Where would I get insurance for that?

My friend thought that IF people would even PAY me to clean their tack, then they'd want it done at their yard.... which I couldn't do really, as it wouldn't net me enough to live on as a day job, and anyway, I don't want to sit in chilly tack rooms, I want to sit in my nice warm house, preferably in front of the TV!!

It once took me 5hrs to clean my god-daughters' filthy tack ready for the Ponies UK champs!!! A mouldy double bridle and a mud and sweat encrusted saddle.

By the end you could see your face in the leather work and the metal work was gleaming.

Very satisfying, though I don't think god-daughter was all that grateful :(

Maybe I'll reconsider it as an add-on job now!! :)