Tack cleaning - how often??

Orangehorse

Visit site
Errrr not as often as I should, but still a lot more often than some of the tack I see for sale at tack sales. Some looks as though it has never been touched, and wouldn't you give something a clean if you wanted to sell it?

I rather enjoy tack cleaning, although I also find it a bit more confusing than in the past when it was saddle soap for every day and neatsfoot oil for new or stiff leather.

Now we are told at neatsfoot isn't as good as we thought and there are all sorts of conditioners, etc. Currently I am just using up all the random tubes and jars of stuff and when it is all gone will have a rethink and see what the Latest Advice is.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Just like the car... weddings, funerals, and on the rare occasion that I'm trying to sell it. :D

Luckily the sharers occasionally get really enthusiastic about it, and have a group tack cleaning session, which is really sweet, and a good opportunity to talk to them about different parts of the saddle/bridle, bit action etc.

daffy44

Visit site
Quick clean every time its used, obviously bits washed, leather gets a quick wash to prevent any grease build up, and then all gone over with soap/balm etc, not taken apart, but straps pulled out of keepers and put back, so a quick job, only oiled after rain.

Fjord

Visit site
Peewee Saddlers have a YouTube channel and the saddler has done an interesting video on why you shouldn't clean your saddle too often.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.