Tack cleaning - why can't I get a shine???

SueAllen

Visit site
I clean it with warm water, allow to dry then apply saddle soap. However hard I buff it up after it never seems to be anything other than dull. Why???
frown.gif

serena2005

Visit site
what saddle soap is it?

i use the bar stuff in a orange packet (sorry cant think what its called) my tack hardly ever shines so i went the bar a little and rub it on the leather so it coats it, then softly rub it in with a sponge and it usually shines.

or...

try oiling it for a week or so if its old leather it might need it, then saddle soap again... also dont use so much water, water makes it dull. i dont use water at all unless it really really needs it.

Nailed

Visit site
get some balfour glycerine soap.. which is what it think serena is refering to. Dont wait for it to dry, let the leather remain slightly damp, to be honest you dont even need to use water first, just wet the soap and using a circular motion apply to the leather. The buff with a soft cloth, it wont be shiny like a pair of boots, it will be a dull shine.
Lou x

Skhosu

Visit site
try the yelloq stuff made for kieffer leather (sorry, forget the name, sure it begins w/ A!) its brill!
Or beeswax stuff!

SueAllen

Visit site
I've got Belvoir conditioning glycerine soap - obviously the wrong stuff then! And I think I probably use way too much water!

serena2005

Visit site
its the water that takes the shine away. it doesnt really matter what soap you use to be honest.

i never used soap on my horses harness, always boot polish! cant really use it on saddles though, you'd get a black bum!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I clean with 'Belvoir' tack cleaner which removes all dirt & grease & then wipe over with a little 'NAF' leather food. The bridles & saddles come up a treat with a lovely deep sheen.
Oh, and clean tack regularly, if you leave it too long it is more difficult to get a nice sheen.
I hope this helps
cool.gif
wink.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I use glycerine saddle soap mixed with milk, keeps the tack wonderfully supple and gives a nice shine. cut up one bar of glycerine saddle soap, melt it very gently over a low heat, pour in half pint of full fat milk, continue to heat gently until completely melted, stirring all the time, tip into a container and leave to set.

bit of a faff to make but lasts ages (keep it somewhere cool). I always apply it with a dry sponge.