Tack Locker Storage?

atropa

Visit site
I’m thinking of moving to a yard with amazing hacking but with limited storage space. Each horse is allocated a tack locker to contain all their tack, boots, grooming equipment etc, and one arm of a rug rack for drying wet or dirty rugs. I currently have two horses with quite a lot of (obviously essential) equipment between them, and the storage issue is the big thing putting me off this otherwise great yard.
Unfortunately, I don’t have any space to store items at home as I live in a small flat, so I’m looking for tips on how to make the most of tack locker space? I currently have 2 garden storage trunks that store most of my rugs and saddle cloths, and a small set of plastic drawers for first aid, lotions and potions, then another box (large shoe box size) full of boots. Plus 2 toolboxes for their grooming kits and assorted bits and bobs (grazing muzzle,headcollar, lungeing gear).
I have the option of another yard where the hacking isn’t so great, but where there is plenty of storage space and a very large school, and I’m really dithering between the two.

AFB

Visit site
Are stables big enough to use for storage as well? Assuming you have nice horses than don't insist on throwing things around and trampling them through their beds that is...

atropa

Visit site
Are stables big enough to use for storage as well? Assuming you have nice horses than don't insist on throwing things around and trampling them through their beds that is...

Unfortunately not, they're not small but not big enough that I'd want to take up room with storage, plus I have one mare who is prone to wrecking the joint if she's fed up. Thanks though.

Gypley

Visit site
Personally, I would take great hacking over storage and just make it work. I moved from renting my own yard to full livery with very limited space, which you can imagine was incredibly difficult to downsize! I did have the luxury of being able to use a small corner of my husbands shed (albeit begrudgingly by him!) After two years of being at full livery yard, ive managed to sell lots of stuff that I thought at the time were 'essential' but actually never used!

tatty_v

Visit site
I try and keep a lid on how much stuff I accumulate, but I think I would struggle with that amount of storage :( I guess rugs and saddle cloths can go at the bottom of the tack locker (if folded to be as flat as possible), but not sure where I would put all those odds and ends that you don't need everyday but are handy (grazing muzzle, first aid kit, lungeing stuff etc.) x

atropa

Visit site
Personally, I would take great hacking over storage and just make it work. I moved from renting my own yard to full livery with very limited space, which you can imagine was incredibly difficult to downsize! I did have the luxury of being able to use a small corner of my husbands shed (albeit begrudgingly by him!) After two years of being at full livery yard, ive managed to sell lots of stuff that I thought at the time were 'essential' but actually never used!

Yeah, sacrificing the storage is what I'm 95% set on doing, especially as one of my horses may only be fit for hacking in the future really. Just looking for tips on how to deal with it. I do have the option of storing some stuff at my parent's garage but that's a 2 hour round trip. I don't think I'd be able to pare down my stuff anymore than I already have this year (sold loads of items that weren't essential to fund a holiday of a lifetime). Thank you :)

atropa

Visit site
I try and keep a lid on how much stuff I accumulate, but I think I would struggle with that amount of storage :( I guess rugs and saddle cloths can go at the bottom of the tack locker (if folded to be as flat as possible), but not sure where I would put all those odds and ends that you don't need everyday but are handy (grazing muzzle, first aid kit, lungeing stuff etc.) x

Thank you, I'm hoping with two horses I can use one tack locker to store rugs/fabrics and one for the boxed items and bits/bobs. I'm the kind of person that hates having things crammed in untidily so it's probably a bigger deal for me than it really should be!

tatty_v

Visit site
Thank you, I'm hoping with two horses I can use one tack locker to store rugs/fabrics and one for the boxed items and bits/bobs. I'm the kind of person that hates having things crammed in untidily so it's probably a bigger deal for me than it really should be!

I totally sympathise - when we moved out of our old house I had one of those IKEA billy bookcase things with drawers and cupboards going spare. We moved it down to the yard and I spent a very happy afternoon organising everything! I think with two lockers you could make it work - stackable boxes sound like the way forward, and good labelling so you know where to find things without having to empty everything out. Presumably there is separate storage for any feedstuff and mucking out tools etc?

madamebonnie

Visit site
How big is your car boot? I keep quite a few things in there! Is there perhaps a corner you keep rugs in outdoor trunks? Not secure but dry?

Or hang rugs in your stables?

atropa

Visit site
How big is your car boot? I keep quite a few things in there! Is there perhaps a corner you keep rugs in outdoor trunks? Not secure but dry?

Or hang rugs in your stables?

It's tiny, I drive a Vauxhall Adam and it's already crammed full of stuff that I hate having to lug around. I think potentially there might be separate rug storage but I have a feeling from what I've been told that it's organised by the YOs, not the liveries. It's not the kind of yard where rugs are allowed to be hung in the stables, bar the one stable and one turnout rug.

Tatty thankfully there is a separate space for feed and mucking out tools (although I have to use the supplied feed bins, not my own)

merlo89

Visit site
Have you considered vacuum packing your rugs? So then you can have an average weather on the horse when there out and a stable rug hung up and vice versa? Keeps the rugs clean and small, as well as any mice and spiders away!!:D