Tack room clearout - I'm still in shock!

DW Team

Visit site
Oh how awful. Having been to yours I am so surprised anyone knows you are there. I am so surprised they got past the pack of hounds. Hope you are lucky and get the tack back. Have posted to local Facebook page.

DD

Visit site
Leominster auctions and look in Hereford Equestrian adverts too Janet. How awful. hope they get caught. are the items marked with smart water?

zaminda

Visit site
What an awful thing to happen. I would keep a close eye on facebook for it appearing for sale especially if you have an idea of who took it. Does anyone you know have them as a friend on there? If so any of the persons posts will appear in their news feed. I also find friends of friends horsey for sale posts on pages I'm on come up as well. I would try a spot of under cover sleuthing as I hate thieves.

MargotC

Visit site
What absolute barstewards. I do hope you recover as much tack as possible.

It is hopeless that the police in so many cases should struggle so to get "known" individuals. How known do you have to be for action that packs a punch to be taken I wonder. There are a fair few out there who have their freedom at the expense of the rest of us. I am unsure how much cost this "saves" society..!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
So sorry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone did that to us. Just the thought of it. Mind you, our tack room has two 60 kilo dogs in residence who wouldn't hesitate to have anyone up to no good. I hope that you catch them and maybe get at least some of your stuff back.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
What an awful thing to happen. I would keep a close eye on facebook for it appearing for sale especially if you have an idea of who took it. Does anyone you know have them as a friend on there? If so any of the persons posts will appear in their news feed. I also find friends of friends horsey for sale posts on pages I'm on come up as well. I would try a spot of under cover sleuthing as I hate thieves.

I've posted all over my FB pages - and shared widely. More than 70 friends have shared too - so the word is getting around.

I've even had generous offers of saddles on loan from people I hardly know - but that side is under control now. It's frustrating that the police won't do more (or anything, lol) But when you think of the criminal side of a certain ethnic minority .....

honetpot

Visit site
Really sorry to hear what's happened to you, it seems to be a common tactic coming around the back. Your stuff will be larger sizes which will be hard to find second hand and good quality so I wonder if it was stolen to order.
We have a beam alarm set at the back of our barns similar to this, https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/w...rHvGgCUxn_tLAkTQ9lycIVdBrW_3cjo4p0aAgQU8P8HAQ It sets off a siren and sends a text to your phone, its also tells us when the s**t of a pony has got out and is heading for the feed bins.

Spottyappy

Visit site
So sorry to hear this.
Hope insurance doesn't quibble.
Am sure you are aware, but please don't put tack back in the same tack room, as thieves kiwi people replace things and will return.
When a riding school near me was done over, they brought a van and literally took tack for about 50 horses home every night.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So sorry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone did that to us. Just the thought of it. Mind you, our tack room has two 60 kilo dogs in residence who wouldn't hesitate to have anyone up to no good. I hope that you catch them and maybe get at least some of your stuff back.

This seems like one of the only things that will work. I am intrigued to know though how the dogs would tell apart a thief from a new livery say, that is entering the tack room by themselves?

Wish you all the best JanetGeorge, this is an absolutely ***** thing to happen. If I can help or lend tack or anything, please let me know,

sarahann1

Visit site
Urgh, that's awful, hope you get some if not all of it back. If I see the post on FB I'll be sure to share it.

Someone round our way got done a year or so, the muppets who stole the stuff got caught because they went to a local saddlery shop and tried to sell him stuff! They were kept talking while the police were called.

chillipup

Visit site
My heart dropped into my stomach when I read your post JG, I really do feel for you, what a dreadful thing to happen. I have no words to describe these people, they have no idea what devastation and heartbreak their actions cause, I just hope they themselves find out one day.

I do hope your insurance company steps up without any hassle too and that the Police have luck with recovering your items. Though as I discovered myself, It's often not worth holding your breath. I was advised by the Police to keep an eye on Ebay for my stolen property being sold.

'My burglers' used the same ammo as yours OP and got to my sheds and barn by driving through the fields and breaking down fences to avoid using the gravelled drive. Neither I nor the bleddy dogs heard a thing. Along with a lot of tools, equipment and the kids bikes, I think I was targeted too and they came equipped for my Countax ride-on mower, which due to it being a serious bit of kit and expensive, was stored within a bolted and padlocked shed with its front wheel locked inside a Denver boot (wheel clamp type thing) which had in turn, been bolted to the concrete floor. They must have had to use a ruddy winch to drag the thing out and get it on a truck! Bar stewards every one of them. They could have seen me numerous times when driving past, as I often mowed the wide grass verge outside our boundary fence to keep it looking neat and tidy...well that'll teach me!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What a bleddy nuisance. I'm amazed that they got past your guard hounds.

Replacing tack is such a pain. Your Albion that fitted 'everything' was worth much more than its book value. But massive credit to your staff in getting you kitted out to be able to work 20 horses on the day after the robbery.

It's beyond frustrating to know who did it, without being able to pin it on them. Hooefully they aren't as clever as they think they are, and will be brought to book over it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This seems like one of the only things that will work. I am intrigued to know though how the dogs would tell apart a thief from a new livery say, that is entering the tack room by themselves?

We're a small yard and the dogs know all of the liveries. They are also very safe with strangers but go absolutely berserk if anyone is traipsing around the fields behind us at night. We have had poachers around before, and they alert me and I ring the gamekeeper. Believe me, they know the difference between someone coming in once they have been shut in there at night and a livery who they have met before. I do think dogs sense intent. I did once have to go in there late at night and they frightened me half to death when they burst out at me, only stopping when they realised it was me. They don't get shut in until I have finished late night checks though. Before that they are loose in the court yard. They are actually in a separate room adjoining the tack room because I don't like them actually in there, but you have to go through this room to gain access to the tack room.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
What a dreadful thing to happen. One of our local yards got broken into. Steel walls so they went in via the roof. :(

I hope that the insurance covers your losses. Blooming pain restocking and it's always the things that had been hanging around for ages that you miss most.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Rubbish :( when I read the title I thought you'd had a clear out and discovered you had 502 rugs or something :( To try and take extra precautions in case they wait for you to restock and try their luck again. Maybe sound Dryrot out for a dog? :p

Fools Motto

Visit site
Pain in the behind. I'll keep an eye out down here in Dorset, and spread the word. (How do I find the FB page to share?)

Last edited:

TTK

Visit site
Oh no Janet, it's that time of year again. I feel your outrage & pain. Thanks for the heads up though, as a neighbour I will warn others in the Parish that the light fingered fraternity are about again.

So sorry that this has happened. Juliex

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Pain in the behind. I'll keep an eye out down here in Dorset, and spread the word. (How do I find the FB page to share?)

Just search for Saddlery Thieves in the UK - it'll pop up!

There's little point in chasing around the sales - while I'd recognize some of it - I couldn't prove it was mine. The vast majority of the saddles I've had for at LEAST 5 years - and a LOT longer! I've got lots of heavy duty padlocks/chains on order, and a new alarm system - and my new stuff will be security marked and photos taken - all the things I SHOULD have done before! They'll find it a LOT harder next time they try!

Casey76

Visit site
Have you thought about microdotting and/or using smart water on your tack?

I'm not sure how expensive it is, but I'm sure if you buy one lot and do everything at once, the price would be small in comparison with the cost of the replacement tack. I think you can then put an official sign from the makers of the microdots/smart water to inform everyone that your tack is permanently identifiable.

It really is a rotten thing to have happen to you, especially if you have suspicions of the perp(s) :(