Tack room clearout - I'm still in shock!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I spent yesterday sorting the aftermath of a total clear-out of my tack room - by clever thieves who accessed through the fields - so didn't have to tackle the heavy chain and padlock on the gate across the drive (which definitely would have woken the dogs.) Brute force used on the padlock on the tack room - and everything carried through the fields. One of my wheelbarrows left at the top gate and a rug was also obviously used to drag some of their haul!! It must have taken quite a few trips - and definitely inside knowledge! I have my suspicions! If anyone in the West Midlands/Shropshire etc is offered cheap tack, I'd appreciate hearing about it. The haul was 21 saddles (Ideal, Albion and Stubben - almost all 18" - med/wide), 30 bridles (all full or extra full with various types of snaffle bits) and about another 30 loose bits. We're hidden away behind a big house on the roadside - and the yard is a good 500 yards from the road. Nowhere is safe!

Not surprising that police who attened knew the names/history of my suspects - and were very pessimistic about the chance of a result! Thanks to my fantastic staff - and some borrowed tack - we still managed to get 20 horses worked!

cblover

Visit site
Dear god Janet, so sorry. It feels like such a violation. Like you say, nothing is safe. Fingers crossed for a good result and you, at least, get some tack returned to you. Take care. X

Evie91

Visit site
Oh no, how awful. Don't know what to say really, you must be feeling so angry and upset, terrible when people take stuff you have worked hard to buy and such a quantity too! Glad you have been able to borrow tack to at least ride.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Unless there is lots of id the chances of getting anything back is remote. Insurance rarely covers the true value and the damage done psychologically is immense. Really sorry for you and I hope that Karma is watching and biding its time.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have no optimism about getting any of it back! Lots of scrolling through E-bay looking for emergency supplies. I'm damn sure I know who is behind it - but proving it will be near impossible. I just hope the insurers don't give me TOO much grief - I've been with them for years and never had a claim until now (and I pay them nearly £3,000 a year to cover employer/public liability as well as tack, etc.) I just hope the little poppet doesn't give me as a reference, lol - I'll break ALL the rules on THAT!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Awful I dread this happening .
There's nothing you can do when their determined except perhaps Mark your new saddle in a permanent and not pretty way .
You might consider using a soldiering iron to put your stud name and postcode in the inside of the panels and a number corresponding to your records.
You have a lot of horses so you probably keep saddles long term so you could do this

If you have a good fitter who can reshuffle you should be able to get Albions and like from eBay with a bit of trawling saddles often go at very competitive prices.
I so sorry it's upsetting and fury making in equal measures.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
What a pain!!!!

They never got the people who did our tack room, I gave them the names of course but no proof. The bar stewards were smug looking for months. You could follow the dropped tack in the genral direction. Lost no where as much as you, so sorry to hear it.

I hope you get sorted out really quickly!!!

Andalucian

Visit site
Terrible news Janet, I hope your insurance performs as required and that there are plenty of replacements in stock, that's a lot of kit to replace :(

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry to hear this JG :( - horrible. So right, nowhere is safe!

Hope insurance can replace most if not all of your losses.

buddylove

Visit site
Thieving bar stewards!
I would be sorely tempted to give them more than a poor reference to worry about!
I hope justice prevails for you JG.

marotelle

Visit site
Oh,I am so sorry to hear this;it happened to me seven years ago,I still haven't recovered.Some favorite tack simply cannot be replaced.
I hope you have better luck and catch the filth that did this....

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh....! Very sorry to read this lass.

I was at a friend's yard recently where the tack room is brick built, within another building, steel rollered door, no windows, and linked to the house alarm. It's such a pity that people have to go to such lengths to protect their property.

I'll keep an eye out at the local market.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Oh you poor thing :( Aside from the loss of all that tack, I know what the violation bit feels like as well. When it happened to us, the police caught them because they were driving round Winchester with our bowler hat on the back window, and an on the ball copper had noticed "bowler hat" on the list of things nicked, and stopped them.

I hope you manage to get it back - there was a recent one near here and the social media publicity meant the stuff was too hot to handle and was located quite quickly.

eggs

Visit site
Sorry to hear your news, you must be feeling really sickened. eBay could be a good place to look as saddles don't seem to be shifting for much money.

Some years ago the police were at a local horse show offering to stamp your postcode onto the inside flap of your saddle - which I took advantage of. For my insurance I had to supply all the serial numbers of my saddles which isn't something I wouldn't have thought to do. I no longer insure my tack but do still have the list of serial numbers.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Am so sorry to hear this. It happened to us quite a few years ago. It's not just the loss and inconvenience it's the thought that someone has rifled through your personal possessions. Heartless people. Most of ours was recovered but we were extremely lucky. Best wishes, awful time for you.x

Spilletta

Visit site
That's terrible, really sorry to hear what happened. Don't know how anyone could live with themselves for putting you through that. Really hope police can actually do something even though they don't sound positive at the moment.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Its really sh/t, you might get some things back, it was obviously well planned.
A leather stamp is relatively cheap plus you could chip saddles, thank goodness you have insurance.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Dear God Janet, what a bleddy awful thing to happen. Its the loss of all the bits and bobs accumulated over many years that would be most upsetting for me I think. I hope your insurance comes through for you and the thieving so and sos are held to account :(

millikins

Visit site
As others, I am so very sorry. Also be aware that a return visit is likely within the month when you have replaced what was stolen :(