Tack Room Design

amage

Visit site
So not specifically a CR topic but this is the least scary place! While Dolly is on box rest OH is letting me redesign the tack room ( a long overdue job) to quell my boredom! Ourt current tack room is quite small and cramped but has so much scope for improvement. It has one main door but is actually three small rooms in one. It doubles as a feed room. I am so far planning on taking out door to one of the "rooms" and moving all tack etc in there. Due to old cobble walls we will have to put a face on the walls first to enable us to put up hangers etc. Now one thing I am very cautious about is having enough shelving/storage but not too much as if we have too much OH will have space to keep to much junk that should be thrown out. Our feed area will be the "middle" room which the main door opens into as it is much easier to keep regularly swept out etc and then right hand side room is planned for rug storage/grroming gear/random stuff and medicine cupboard (lockable). We have plug points & a tap. What are your tack room essentials? We have a beautiful old cobble floor and the room is above an old oat loft with an unused hopper that opens into tack room. The building is approx 100years old and I want to have it modern but still have the feel of history of the thousands of horses OH's father produced from the yard. Any suggestions?

kerilli

Visit site
I have all saddles on 1 wall, i think it looks much better that way. double racks (not those nasty metal frame ones that damage saddle flocking, the ones that are just a pole the saddle sits on) so saddlepad can air above the saddle it goes with. wooden racks would look lovely if you have them. i hang all bridles parallel to each other on another wall, with storage underneath. sink or at least somewhere to heat water to clean tack is essential imho.
i don't think you can have too much storage, but then i am the world's worst hoarder... ;) ;)

Woodykat

Visit site
Your tack room sounds like heaven - you could do so much with it, but then I'm sad like that.
At the moment I've just got a shed to keep all my stuff in, but the most useful thing is an old wardrobe that is only about 4ft high, which means that as well as keeping stuff in it (rugs etc on one side, on misc crap on the shelves on the other side) I can keep stuff on top too .

However (and this is the bit where you think I'm REALLY sad) i've also got a plastic garden chest outside as well as 2 deep freezers and a stand up freezer - you can never have too much rat proof storage!

The stand up freezer is great cos it's got drawers - so i've got a drawer for 1st aid, a drawer for bandages.....

I'll stop now :p