tack room neccesities....everyone please

moodymare_1993

Visit site
ok so winter is coming yay :) and i want to know what everyone has in their tack rooms...and what you think are necessities (excuse my spelling if its wrong)....
my reasoning for this is just when i think i have everything i need...i see more things to buy :( bit of a stable accesories shopaholic here......

so what do you have or wish you had in your tack room.....can be anything from wonderful things to the down right weird!!!

oh i forgot to put mine lol....i would love a washing machine/tumble dryer so i could washa and dry things for my girlie instead of paying lots of money to have them sent away to be cleaned all the time...my mum would go mad if i brought stuff home to wash in her beloved washing machine....although she is on holidat atm...could sneak a few numnahs and stable rugs in...hmmmm

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
A kettle and supply of hot drinks or soups and a minimum of spare boots and socks but preferably a complete change of clothes. In very cold ice and snow an old duvet would be a bonus in case there was a need to sit up with an ill horse. a wind up torch is useful as well.

mil1212

Visit site
having just had a lovely new tack room built, complete with plumbing for a washing machine (can't afford the washing machine yet though :rolleyes: ) I can attest that the number 1 essential item in a tack room is: a mouse trap. The little blitters have chewed through some brand new cabling and now a light and plug socket don't work :( :mad:
Also, I have many see through storage boxes for everything to protect it against aformentioned rodents and keep it ordered and clean.

eggs

Visit site
A kettle (not just for making tea but also for the endless amount of poultices I seem to do ...), agree with the rodent trap! Tools to remove a loose shoe,

A friend of mine has a fab tack room with a wood burning stove and armchairs.

kathantoinette

Visit site
I have a max/min thermometer (got it off internet for £10) and it sits in the tack room which adjoins the stables. Very useful to see actually what temperatures the stables get down to during the cold winter nights.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I don't actually have a tack room - but to the side of my stable I have my own self contained storage area. The 'partition' is roughly about 3/4 size of a stable.

I have:

A small wardrobe - contains wellies, riding boots and chaps, change of jodhpur, jumper and spare coat, socks etc. I also keep my riding hat, high viz etc. It has shelves, so I also keep small things like gloves, dressage test sheets and odds and ends.
I've got a hairdresser mobile shelves - to keep horses boots, bandages, first aid kit and other pots and lotions.
Three rug racks - to keep rugs and numnahs out the way when clean and dry.
Saddle racks x 2 - I keep my lunging equipment and although take my saddle home, it is handy to use whilst there.
Bridle hooks - to hang bridles and headcollars.
I've got some small shelves to keep my supplements, spray bottles.
Then just a radio and kettle.

I would love a seat - but tend to make do with a bale of shavings!

Starzaan

Visit site
I am very lucky to have finally managed to get my dream tack room. I have -

- hot and cold running water
- a mini fridge
- microwave
- kettle
- ipod dock which also has a radio in it, which is wired into speakers all round the yard
- washing maching
- tumble dryer
- arm chairs
- and Bertha, a larger version of one of these http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ca...e_Heaters_-_Portable_flueless_gas_stoves.aspx this has been my best investment, EVER. It's cheap to run (has a gas bottle hidden inside it) and can be left on all the time as there's no naked flame and no fumes. It's incredible for keeping the tack room cosy, and for stopping the tack going mouldy.

Liath

Visit site
On a more basic level, my winter necessities are a bottle of 7 day mud-away to keep tails free of mudlocks (like dreadlocks, but made of mud, obviously!) and a couple of cans of Hoof Master with Violet to keep thrush at bay for him and for me.... silk gloves.... under work gloves or riding gloves, they keep my hands really warm!

PennyJ

Visit site
I am very lucky to have finally managed to get my dream tack room. I have -

- hot and cold running water
- a mini fridge
- microwave
- kettle
- ipod dock which also has a radio in it, which is wired into speakers all round the yard
- washing maching
- tumble dryer
- arm chairs
- and Bertha, a larger version of one of these http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ca...e_Heaters_-_Portable_flueless_gas_stoves.aspx this has been my best investment, EVER. It's cheap to run (has a gas bottle hidden inside it) and can be left on all the time as there's no naked flame and no fumes. It's incredible for keeping the tack room cosy, and for stopping the tack going mouldy.

Starzaan, my experience of Calor Gas heaters is that they produce a lot of condensation, I would have thought what would make your tack mouldy? Otherwise I would completely agree they are wonderful pieces of kit, I would never have managed without one over the years, certainly it saved my life as a student, and I have one down in my shed/office now. Come to think of it though, I've never had anything go mouldy down there...

teresagarsden

Visit site
I could not do without my filing cabinet, its an old metal one had it for 10 yrs now and got it free from work, and holds everything.
Its like Mary Poppins handbag it contains everything from wormers to grooming kits to execise sheets.

everybody should have one....
Teresa

Chocy

Visit site
In tack room at my cake we always have supply of cakes/biscuits/scones etc gr8 4 an after lesson boost!
Oh & the fridge always kept stocked with 'emergency use' wine :) (very handy b4 a jumping lesson when the instructors gone a bit mad with pole height!!!)

igglepop

Visit site
having just had a lovely new tack room built, complete with plumbing for a washing machine (can't afford the washing machine yet though :rolleyes: ) I can attest that the number 1 essential item in a tack room is: a mouse trap. The little blitters have chewed through some brand new cabling and now a light and plug socket don't work :( :mad:
Also, I have many see through storage boxes for everything to protect it against aformentioned rodents and keep it ordered and clean.

Cant really think of anything, perhaps a kettle and a hot water bottle. But mil1212 try preloved old ones go up regally. Also instead of mouse trap a cat as it can also warm hands up when you are cold.

Brigadoon

Visit site
I got 2 out of work mousers. Proper feral girls..all neutered and ear tipped. Since the day they came out of their enclosure I have not had any vermin.
Mice ( and rats ) waste rugs, boots and leather goods so these girls have been the best asset for my tackroom.

Hippophilia

Visit site
A friend of mine has a fab tack room with a wood burning stove and armchairs.

How can I make them my friend too? :D

The tack room at my current yard is unheated and a bit damp, not looking forward to a -25 Saskatchewan winter in that. Seriously considering storing my tack at home...but if I went in tomorrow and found a nice big, dry locker containing a Mountain Horse Winnipeg jacket, decent winter gloves and a new exercise sheet I wouldn't be too miffed.