Tack room space

Sugar Plum

Visit site
Looking at moving yards and wonder what the average tack room space allocated to each horse owner is. I am concerned as I have quite a bit of tack, boots and training aids plus general first aid lotions and potions. The place I am looking at has one saddle rack per horse (i.e. one saddle only) and possible space for a storage bin (the ones you usually have outside your stable but there is no room for it at this yard). Is this normal?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's so variable.
I have a whole room to myself currently.
Last place I had one saddle rack and one hook for bridle in the tackroom only, everything else had to be stored by your stable on a single pallet, this has been most common IME. sometimes there's space for a set of plastic drawers underneath in the tackroom but generally space is very limited.

AFB

Visit site
So variable:

Yard 1: Massive storage sheds, YO didn't mark them out so it was a land grab exercise every time someone left. When I left after 3 years I had masses of space
Yard 2: Tack room was a saddle/bridle hook, space outside stables took my tack locker and one of those green gardening boxes for rug storage
Yard 3: Space for tack locker & 2 feed bins with a bit of room to spare at ground level, large shelf above and high ceiling for extra storage - green rug box had to go and most rugs hung in stable.

Tash88

Visit site
I think it also depends on whether you are on part/full livery or DIY - you will naturally need more space on DIY as you will need to store feed, hay etc.

When I was on part livery I had two saddle racks (one horse) but I would have had to take a saddle home if the space was needed. I was also able to keep a large plastic box in the tack room with boots, bandages etc. I then had a tack locker outside my stable with everything else in it, and a rug rack outside my stable. I also had a few spaces on the indoor rug rack for rugs I wasn't using. I had enough space there, not a problem at all and the YO wasn't very strict either.

Now I'm on DIY I have loads of space and I love it, I'm very lucky, but it may change if we get more liveries. Most people have a spare stable 10 x 10ish stables (that aren't suitable for horses) for all their hay, feed etc. and some share a stable. I have one to myself but keep most things to one half so it will be easy to condense it if necessary. I have 3 pallets for hay & straw, my tack locker (which I don't store tack in), my feed bins and a rug rack. In the tack room I have one saddle rack and one bridle hook, and we are allowed a set of plastic boxes/drawers under the counter. I also have a large-ish plastic outdoor trunk outside my stable, but that is all we are allowed outside our boxes so it stays looking tidy.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
At current yard I've got one saddle rack, one bridle hook, a rug rail, and a garden box for general stuff (I keep first aid kit inside). In the feed room I've got two feed bins.

I don't have lots of stuff I need day to day so it works fine for me. I do have some stuff in storage in my parent's garage I use less often but don't want to chuck just yet, but it all fits inside another garden box.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
At home, for 2 or 3 horses, (max 2 working horses and also a pet) I have a stable size, so 12 ft X 12 ft. This is for tack, rugs, jackets, feed.

There is a separate storage area for hay and bedding.

It is packed!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Looking at moving yards and wonder what the average tack room space allocated to each horse owner is. I am concerned as I have quite a bit of tack, boots and training aids plus general first aid lotions and potions. The place I am looking at has one saddle rack per horse (i.e. one saddle only) and possible space for a storage bin (the ones you usually have outside your stable but there is no room for it at this yard). Is this normal?
mine now have 2 saddle rugs (space depending) space for small trunk on a first come basis so usually 2 trunks, two bridle hooks and now done a shelf above to give them more room. the liveries also all have a chest freezer in a seperate barn for rugs etc and also rug racks inside stable and some keep their tools and grooming kits in there.

Griffin

Visit site
I currently have a saddle rack, bridle hook, two rug rails (one in the stable and one outside) and half a feed bin. I am on part livery and I carry everything else back and forth to the stables daily.

I did livery at one stables where you had half a spare stable each to store everything in. I shared with a friend and it was really handy because we used to buy our hay and bedding together in bulk to keep the costs down.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Every yard is different. I currently have a space where I fitted a 4×6' shed and put a secure tack cupboard inside. I only keep kit that is in daily use at the yard. Most of my stuff is stored at home.
The best yard for storage had rows of 3 stable bays, each with a tack room and feed room. The bays had their own taps and space for large bales of hay and straw etc. It was absolutely lovely.