Tack room tidy up... think I have a problem..

AceAmara

Visit site
I have more than 20 saddle cloths.. that doesn’t count numnahs. I think I must have a problem! I thought perhaps I could sort through them and ebay some but I can’t bare to part with any ?! How many do you have? Am I abnormal?
I bought another one today!

teddypops

Visit site
I have an obsession with saddlecloths too! I have no idea how many I have but it's a lot! And yes, I keep buying more!😂

Jo1987

Visit site
I have more than 20 for sure, can't use most of them though as current horse needs a thick pad, I've just bought a nice blue Roma reversible to match his fly veil and browband...

Greylegs

Visit site
I have 6. They are 2 white dressage squares, 2 brown numnahs, a navy saddle cloth and a black saddle cloth. By my reckoning you are abnormal but I suspect you are not alone. I just don't get this saddle cloth/numnah/matchy-matchy thing ... Better things to do with my money .....

Enfys

Visit site
Ummmmmm, 1 rideable horse, 3 saddles

2 saddlepads (the square ones) for English saddles.
1 Colombian saddlepad, thick and shaped
1 Western saddlepad

No numnahs at all - if you mean the shaped ones.
None of them are the same colour.

Actually, it depends how long you have been collecting them as to whether you have a problem or not, and anyway, why not collect them :D

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wow, I have three! I do, however, have an issue with hunter nosebands! I have two bridle bags, three spare bridles, I'm giving some stuff away, it's ridiculous!

swilliam

Visit site
I can't bear to throw stuff away. Just having a sort out. I have 13 saddles (I think) for 1 rideable horse, and vast quantities of rugs - including 6 6'9'' (no horse that size) and 9 6' 3'' for the horse that's out on loan. I found three new ones still in bags that I don't even remember buying. 20 saddle pads/numnahs? Who knows!

claracanter

Visit site
I have more than 20 for sure, can't use most of them though as current horse needs a thick pad, I've just bought a nice blue Roma reversible to match his fly veil and browband...

yes thats a real bummer when horse needs a thick pad!!! Had the same thing here.

AceAmara

Visit site
oh dear, i have a problem. In my defence, I took a load of things to a horse car boot sale last year but hardly sold a thing and Im loathe to just throw things out. Maybe its worse that I dont actually do matchy matchy haha, most of them are boring, cheap Roma/Shires/Hy plain pads.. a few previous XC colours from horses past. ( Like I will ever want hot pink again ?!? ) The one I bought today was my first Le Meiux *shivers* it’s very lovely :D... it’s just plain black tho! I also seem to have a LOT of bits :(

DirectorFury

Visit site
At one point I had over 36 matchy sets :eek:. I've been slowly selling them off (and not replacing them!) and the cash has been useful. I'm eyeing up some of the new Le Mieux stuff though ;).

I also have 4 saddles, of which only one fits the horse. I'm trying to sell the other 3 but not having much luck. I'm currently moving house so a lot of stuff is being sold off so there's less to pack.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I definitely have a problem regarding saddle cloths. I have a couple I want to get rid of which were the ones I had to buy quickly when I bought Sam as I'd given the loads I'd had for my old horse to the RS when I thought I wasn't going to ever have a horse of my own again. but thanks to Horse Health, I've seen at least three more I must have :)

In my defence I am a little OCD about making sure I change saddle cloths regularly as I can't stand putting dirty ones on my boy. When I see the state of some people's saddle cloths I cringe LOL

I also have an indecent amount of bridles and just the one horse. Some are from my old horse and don't fit or suit Sam. Next nice day I'm going to have a clear out and try to sell the stuff I don't need.

Llee94

Visit site
I have 5 saddles for my two horses, copious amounts of white saddle cloths, 1 black saddle cloth, 1 navy and one polypad and loads of bits. I dont really use my coloured saddle cloths, so all work including hacking is done in nice clean white saddle cloths and I then have seperate Le Mieux competiton saddle pads which I love.
I have so many rugs that I tried to sort out a few weeks ago and gave up. I wouldnt be surprised if I had more than 30 for my two horses now plus a few more for my mums horses. I forget what I have and just end up buying more which is never a good thing.
I like many others can't bare to part with any of it. Saddles are my down fall. I know that what I have wont fit my youngster when he changes shape so will need new saddles, but I hate the thought of selling any of my current saddles to fund the new ones so I guess I will just have to save hard and add to my collection!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I've bought a "The Exmoor Pony - The Original Off Roader" saddlepad for my not yet 4 years old & a year or more off backing pony. That's Baaaaaaaaaaad!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have more than 20 saddle cloths.. that doesn’t count numnahs. I think I must have a problem! I thought perhaps I could sort through them and ebay some but I can’t bare to part with any ?! How many do you have? Am I abnormal?
I bought another one today!
one winter 2 summer for each horse and one cross country so max 8

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've just filled up my car and taken a load of rugs, girths and saddle cloths to the horse trust. A few people on the yard had a clear out and gave me some to take too.

Can you not donate what you don't need to charity?

FFAQ

Visit site
I've just filled up my car and taken a load of rugs, girths and saddle cloths to the horse trust. A few people on the yard had a clear out and gave me some to take too.

Can you not donate what you don't need to charity?

Love this post! A lot of my no-longer-needed gear gets given to people (and then I usually find later that actually it was still needed).

My OH walked into my horse shed yesterday and I could see him twitching! He's REALLY tidy and I'm a slob so the shed looked like a bomb had exploded. He had to take a deep breath and back out slowly (although he couldn't resist putting a couple of saddle cloths in the saddle cloth bin (which was empty while the saddle cloths were balanced on piles of rugs))!

DD265

Visit site
I have two... one black (that I've had for a couple of years) and one white (that I've had for a week, but am saving for my lesson on Saturday). I was able to get away with just having one as we were barely riding, but now that we're doing more it's more difficult to wash when you only have one.

My plan is for the white to be used for lessons/spare when the black one is in the wash, but I may end up buying a third at some point. I didn't specifically want white, but it was a lot cheaper than the black!!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I have at least 20 and one horse doesn't use a numnah.

Just tidy them away, or hang them up in colour coded order and you'll feel much better and ready to buy some more!

Stockers

Visit site
3 saddle cloths (one bag tow brown) two numnahs, one green one brown. I do have a Le Mieux half pad that goes under only one saddle cloth and as I love it so much only tend to use that combo so I should really ditch the others.

Enfys

Visit site
I am abnormal I don't own a single saddle blanket, numnah or whatever - my saddle goes directly on my horses back.

Funny you should say that, I was thinking the other day that when I was a kid, saddles went straight on backs and we cleaned them afterwards! backs and saddles.

I don't know anyone that does the naked saddle thing now, apart from you :D

lindsay1993

Visit site
Just did a clean out on the yard last week and kept about 20 saddlecloths deemed useable, so there must have been at least 40. There was over 60 rugs of various levels, at least 30 pairs of boots, about 500 million sets of bandages, 9 saddles, 8 pairs of riding boots that fit no-one and 6 full fly-sheets!! There are only 3 horses, none of which use fly sheets!! Owner went out and immediately bought brand new rugs all-round, even though they have more than enough.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Funny you should say that, I was thinking the other day that when I was a kid, saddles went straight on backs and we cleaned them afterwards! backs and saddles.

We do, I do have the saddle cloths for when I like some colour :D but I can ride without if wanted too.

Crackerz

Visit site

When i was a kid, we only had those really thin tea-towel looking saddle cloths or numnahs! I couldn't be bothered to clean the underside of my saddles daily :lol:

I only buy what i NEED, never what i want, so i don't have an excess of anything except bridles. (i just never sell them on! plus i hate changing bits so i have different bridles made up for different uses such as showing, general, loading, lunching, inhand)