Tackroom security

coblets

Visit site
Found a livery that’s ideal for what I’ve been looking for on working farm with massive fields for all year turnout (but not with dairy so no ryegrass). Only problem is that the ‘tackroom/feedroom’ is just a little garden shed on the opposite end of the fields so out of sight from the owners who live on the farm. Tackroom’s only security is a padlock.

Now I was alright with this until I found that that there have been several break ins into yards in the area, I think 5 in the last 4 years, including to this stables, with things stolen in the past. So the other liveries only keep some feed, old rugs, etc there, and drive all their tack to the yard. However, given that I have no car, and am reliant on a bike for my commute, not being able to leave a saddle there is a big problem.

Asked YM whether possible to alarm the tackroom. Answer: even if there was an alarm, by the time the owners heard it, thieves would be long gone. Again though, apart from this, livery is perfect for me and the only one in a commutable distance with turnout in the winter.

My only current idea is to make sure to keep everything in a padlocked storage box (or a tack safe but they look way too expensive), but I don’t know whether that would work or whether someone would just pick up the box and go. So does anyone else have any ideas?

eggs

Visit site
Check your insurance as a lot of policies do not include tack if there are more than 5 horses. They also have strict requirements re locks, etc.

I would be tempted to do as EP above says.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Even in a secure tack room we were never allowed to keep tack there. I certainly wouldn’t keep any in a shed.

Translationsneeded1

Visit site
You can get those metal boxes that they have in the back of security vans and then attach them to the floor. They are super heavy anyway and whilst I doubt it’ll be good enough for insurance, it’ll be tricky to break into / remove.

SEL

Visit site
I suspect whatever you put in place your tack won't be insured, but the metal tack boxes can bolt into the ground I think - just depends if there's somewhere to put one.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
If you put a big padlock on a metal box, it's like putting a big sticker marked "this contains valuable stuff". Unless the metal box is thick steel it would be trivially easy for a professional thief to just cut through the box, the hinges, the haft and staple, wherever there is a weak point elsewhere than the padlock.

I'd vote for carrying your stuff on a luggage rack on your bike.

I fitted an Axiom Journey luggage rack to one of my bikes. It's easily long enough to put a grooming/toolbox on it, and a saddle (with a rain cover) over that and is rated to carry 70kg.

If you can't find one, or find that 70kg is a bit overkill (or you can't find a retailer), then something from Topeak might be more affordable or easier to find; a similar size but rated for around 26kg.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Would the YO be willing to buy an old shipping container? The ones with the recessed padlock are impossible to break into.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my tack was in a locked tackroom with the owner in her house very close to the yard, she also had a dog, they managed to take everything and i got there at 6.45 the next morning and found everything gone. it was heartbreaking for all of us, these people are very clever and mut have been quiet as the dog didnt hear them..

if i was you, if everything else is perfect i would find some way of keeping your tack at home and getting it there on your bike

AFB

Visit site
Dog trailer might be a good call - you could probably keep it packed and just tweak what you need to take slightly each day without too much fuss. As long as you have somewhere to store it easily at home.

Sealine

Visit site
After having my tack stolen from a tack room I would never leave it on site unless I was fully prepared for it to be stolen and go through the pain of finding a replacement saddle and claiming on my insurance. Checking the small print on insurance is important as mine insisted on 5 lever mortice locks and refused to pay out.

My tack was stolen from brick tack room with various locks close to yard owner's house and she didn't hear a thing.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Would the owners be good enough to let you have a small secure space in their house?

But what if they are out when you want to ride and I wouldn't want liveries knocking on my door all hours for there tack either, the only solution I came to when I had a livery at my house was letting her store stuff in our garage and I gave her a key but I only had one livery, and the thing is you can't let one person have a priority like that without everyone else wanting the same. Difficult situation and I definitely wouldn't leave tack in a shed.

sunnyone

Visit site
Would the YO be willing to buy an old shipping container? The ones with the recessed padlock are impossible to break into.
Not true, it may be difficult but not impossible.
Years back I ordered a whole load of IT kit to be delivered to a military base before sending some of it on to specific users. The night the kit was delivered thieves cut through the base fence, drove a lorry in and broke in to the buildings and the shipping containers where they kept the stuff for disposal. Fortunately none of the new stuff went as I didn't trust their security measures in the first place and had not stored it in the usual places.
The bike trailer seems good to me in this case.

coblets

Visit site
Brilliant, thanks everyone! Having seen the price of those tack safes that you bolt to the ground, it looks like bike trailer it is.