Tail bags for mucky greys

Bugly

Visit site
I know its a tad depressing- but winter is looming and this summer I got a beautiful grey horse! He's bad enough to keep clean in the summer so I'm getting prepared for winter to keep the mud and muck to a minimum.

I'm sure I've read on the forum before about special tail bags that people use to keep their grey's tails clean through the winter. Of course I didn't paymuch attention then as I didn't have a grey- but i need to know, was I dreaming it or does such a thing exist?

If you have any good 'keeping greys clean in winter' tips- please let me know. I'm getting all my snuggy turnout hoods out this weekend to try for size....and all his rugs are full neckers. Poor bugger- he'd better make the most of his last rug free weeks!

only_me

Visit site
can you not just wash his tail the day before shows?

otherwise, the only tail protector i use on greys is a leg of tights, when travelling.

ironhorse

Visit site
Yes, they do exist! Not sure what I'd do without them. Mostly they come from western suppliers as correct turnout for western horses is very full, long tails.
You can get Lycra ones that tie into a plait in the tail but these are not idea for turnout. Tailgator (www.tailgator.co.uk) make tail bags that loop throught the top of the plait and secure with velcro - keeps it in place even with a lot of swishing going on (trust me!) but will come off if the horse gets caught in something. They are quite expensive - my advice would be to get the fluorescent yellow one they do and then it's easy to find if the horse gets rid of it in the field.
grin.gif

Bugly

Visit site
ah brilliant! yes that's it the name rings a bell now.

only_me......no i cant wash the tail...I work 9-5 monday to friday and don't plan to waste a good Friday night in the pub or get chilblained hands washing tails before a days hunting!

Theresa_F

Visit site
My two have their tails bagged all winter - I get the black thick ones from Tailgator which also fold in half to keep them out of the way when riding.

They really do work and in summer, I keep the bottom two thirds of my trad's tail in one and just leave out the top part to swish with.

I plait and forget for 2 weeks, then comb out with their survivor detangler and rebag. I also use the mane bags on my trad's long mane.

They save hours of time as well as keeping everything in great clean condition.

On bits that are not covered by rugs, try using a little pig oil on a rag then wipe over - do a skin test first. The oil makes the dirt slip off and is also a good barrier for helping with mud fever.

FoxhillBelle

Visit site
Tail bags... what a fantastic invention! I too have a grey horse and know how hard it is to keep everything clean, my mare attracts dirt/mud i swear.

Both myself and dwi (more dwi if im honest) made a tail bag from some lycra purchased at a local fabric shop, cost less than £5.00 to make, if your a dab hand with a sewing machine that is. It attaches via the loop to a pliat at the top of the tail, i then add a tail guard over the top for added protection.

Fantastic Results, tail is always lovely & clean & a snip of the price of a branded one
smile.gif

Katie__Connie

Visit site
Just you wait!! haha i have a grey and he is permanently filthy all winter!

I've tried every shampoo for greys i can find but have found fairy liquid is as good as any!!

Oh and do you use Stainaway? Fantastic for getting out last minute stains on a hunting/competition morning.... just a spray you sponge on and leave it! =D

dwi

Visit site
Definitely recommend making a tail bag. Very easy to do if you have a sewing machine. Could have made 3 or 4 from a piece of material that cost me £2.