Tail in 'rats tails' question

Capriole

Visit site
my new youngster arrived a couple of weeks ago and im having terriblle trouble trying to seperate his tail hair out, it is hanging in twists and although im grooming them out they fall right back in again, any tricks to get rid? (apart from keep grooming i suppose
smile.gif
)

the watcher

Visit site
I would soak the whole lot in conditioner, and then give it a good wash. If you get it clean an occasional spray of mane and tail detangler or even baby oil will help to keep it looking nice

YorkshireLass

Visit site
Ditt the baby oil ! Use loads of baby oil and unpick it starting at the ends. You might find that a 'human' hair brush, the sort with prongs instead of bristles, is kinder on the hair and means you break less of it as you comb it through.

lucemoose

Visit site
The best mane and tail conditioners on field kept horses are the sillicone based ones like Absorbine showsheen and CD and M showsheen. They last longer.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
The Oster brush - big round thing that looks very like a modern human hairbrush - is totally the dogs whatsits for tails! Start at the very end and work carefully UPWARDS, inch by inch. Go easy on the detangler as some brands can build up and leave the tail sticky. Best plan is to wash the tail then soak in top quality human hair conditioner. I swear by Boots own lavendar conditioner You have to rinse it out but after the tail has almost dried you can get stuck in with detangler spray as necessary. I absolutely guarantee you will have a tail that will have other liveries weeping in envy!!!

Kermie

Visit site
some ponies, particularly youngsters, have a coarse type of hair that is more prone to tangling. I use leave in conditioner (human stuff) when washing tails and that definitely helps along with copious amounts of Dematt from Peasridge. Although it's a lengthy job, try to use your fingers for the worst tangles as IMO brushes tend to rip the hair which makes it tangle even more the next time.