Tail rakes - been researching!

Twigggy

Visit site
OK, I have been doing some research into these tail rakes, and it would seem that they are actually a dog grooming tool, though remarkably the price is the same if you buy the 'equestrian' one or the 'dog' one. There are millions more sizes than currently marketed at the horse world - useful perhaps if you have a very small horse! Plus you can buy spare blades for them/replacements if they go blunt, but ONLY it seems if you have one with a wooden handle (or possibly the metal handle), and I can only find Mars replacement blades not Oster ones, and have no idea if they are the same 'fit'.

Just thought people might be interested since there is so much interest in them at the moment! I was planning to be a cheapskate and buy one of the plastic ones, but it seems that in the long run a wooden handle would be better value...

It also looks like the handles for the course, medium and fine ones are a standard size, so you could buy replacement blades and swap them about if the blades you bought aren't giving a good enough finish.

Just a disclaimer - this is all from having a look at pics on the internet, so don't blame me if I am wrong!
grin.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
Yeah, I got one from Clippersharp.com and they told me straight away that they were a dog grooming tool - my mum also does dog clipping/trimming so talked to her about them. I got a metal one as being more robust, and its been fab!

Clodagh

Visit site
So do their manes and tails really end up looking as though they have been pulled? I HATE clipped docks and scissored manes!
I don't rate the solo comb, either, are they much better?

hantastic

Visit site
i have a dog grooming one and the horse one, and they are not the same. the dog grooming one has serated (sp) blades, where as the horse one has smoth blades. The dog one does sort of work for horses but not really. I wouldnt recomend it.

Acolyte

Visit site
Yes, much better than a Solo comb IMHO! The tail does just look nicely pulled, not clipped/cut or anything like that. I don't know about manes I'm afraid, he's hogged (yay, no plaiting for competitions
grin.gif
)

Twigggy

Visit site
Interesting - they look the same and are described the same on the various sites, so I assumed they were!

Twigggy

Visit site
Probably - there were pages and pages of sites with info about how to groom what type of dog!

I plan to nip into Pets at Home tonight to see if I can get one (will be looking for smooth blades...)

Twigggy

Visit site
Exactly - no cheaper but look the same and sell replacement blades (which is the key part for me as it has influenced my choice of handle!).

Oaksflight

Visit site
Aha, I so need one of these for Hal. The top of his tail is like a bog brush at the moment. What width would I need (like 18/10 teeth) for a very thick bog brushed tail?

mandy4727

Visit site
I'm a bit confused now!!! Sorry. I am going to order one from Clipper sharp tomorrow via the internet and I am going to get a medium metal one to to my horses mane. But can these ones not be sharpened when they go blunt? If this is the case which ones - for manes would I have to get for me to be able to get them sharpened and where could I get this type from?

AtiraApps

Visit site
Well l am a dog groomer......and l use the rakes then on our horses....in fact ALL or yard do too!
I use Coat Kings......and have 6 of them- all different sizes & blade space. They have smooth blades- not serated ones....and are FAB! I find the fine spaced small combs the best.