tail swishing

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It used to be considered so - and a horse could be marked down for it. Now, however, it's recognised as being something that could just be peculiar to that particular horse - and not a sign necessarily of resistance or pain.

ladylisa

Visit site
My mare does it all the time and ive recently had the back man out to check her over, and all is well.
She seams to do it as i ask her to go up a gear and when jumping so i think its a sign of her enjoying herself.

truffles

Visit site
Could be a sign of concentration, although that is just a guess! I know Priceless, Ginny Elliot's event hoss did that over fences just because he was concentrating so much - his tail shot vertical into the air bless.

claire1976

Visit site
I was always led to believe that tail swishing was a sign of agitation and stress. I don't have a horse that does it so I can't comment from personal experience.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
We had this conversation the other night watching my instructor schooling my horse. She swished through being cross or getting agitated (not side to side), whereas the dressage horses move their tails from side to side which I read in the BRC mag is also a sign of engagement.

SusieJane

Visit site
My mare does it when I ask for transitions, but only during before and during her season

Wish I'd noticed that before I paid a fortune for the back man to check her... again!!!