Take your horse on holiday recommendations

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
After a fantastic long weekend on the Gower with my horse and pony, am thinking about the next trip away. It needs to be somewhere we can take our dog as well - and ideally there should other equines in view of where they stay (so pony has company when horse goes out).

Ideally places a couple of hours drive - we’re on Warwickshire/ West Mids border. Where have you all been?

B4B8F498-9B03-403E-902E-748E149EEF84.jpeg

Barlow

Visit site
I have just booked a holiday on the Isle of Wight for my horse, husband and me! They take dogs and have a great setup, the beach and the wide open downs are a 10 min box away but the entire island is crisscrossed by bridleways. Dudgeley Farm, field farm and east leach downs look good options too

TRECtastic

Visit site
We've taken horses to tugford farm in Shropshire, lots of bridleways and quiet lanes. We are running the Welsh TREC championships there mid Sept, plenty of out riding.
Also brandy House Farm just over the border in mid wales, by Knighton, has great open access riding onto the hills

jojo5

Visit site
Have a look at Netherton Hall in Derbyshire - holiday cottages, fields around the livery yard so plenty of other horses, only a couple of hours from you just north of Ashbourne near Carsington Water.

Winters100

Visit site
I have wanted to do this for years, but when I really think about it I feel that it could end up being really hard work! 3 horses and 2 dogs, neither of which can be let off the leash around the horses. 1 dog is a lab who we need to run or bike with every day to keep her in shape, other is a doddery grandpa with arthritis who needs gentle strolls which take forever as he needs to sniff everything. I mean everything. But I still love the idea of going somewhere really pretty with the horses!

Annagain

Visit site
I cant recommend places to stay but the riding in the Brecon areas is lovely and wouldn't be too far away for you. I'd definitely look in that area.

ETA - where did you stay on Gower? I'm just being nosey as we've been a few times!

Last edited:

Barlow

Visit site
I can sugest some where in the New Forest if you are interested.
I’d be interested in the New Forest recommendation. The thing that worries me about the New Forest is the crab flies, I think my horse would be driven demented

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I cant recommend places to stay but the riding in the Brecon areas is lovely and wouldn't be too far away for you. I'd definitely look in that area.

ETA - where did you stay on Gower? I'm just being nosey as we've been a few times!

We stayed at Pilton Moor Stables / Pilton Moor Lodge. It was hacking distance to Rhossili Bay.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I have wanted to do this for years, but when I really think about it I feel that it could end up being really hard work! 3 horses and 2 dogs, neither of which can be let off the leash around the horses. 1 dog is a lab who we need to run or bike with every day to keep her in shape, other is a doddery grandpa with arthritis who needs gentle strolls which take forever as he needs to sniff everything. I mean everything. But I still love the idea of going somewhere really pretty with the horses!

Horse, pony and dog were plenty of work. Hubby doesn’t ride so kept dog entertained when I hacked. Pony is able to be left for a while (although is not impressed!).

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have stayed at Cotswold Rides at Eastleach Downs and can thoroughly recommend it. It’s close to Burford in Oxfordshire with miles of off road hacking, beautiful old grass meadow paddocks with automatic troughs or stables. B&B, bunkhouse, camp in your lorry or tent next to the paddock. Host is lovely and makes wonderful cakes which are consumed after your ride and you can chose to guide yourself or they provide a guide if you want to explore without the stress of finding your way. Was due to go back this summer but missed out on the dates as it fills up fast.

Bobbit

Visit site
North Kingsfield farm in Yorkshire has a dog friendly cottage, lovely paddock in view of the other horses, it's a livery yard so plenty of company for pony. You can hack to the beach. It's lovely.

J&S

Visit site
For the New Forest, look at Hackney Park, Sway, nr Lymington. Direct acess to the forest, very knowledgeable owners and classy accommodation. Owners Helen and Chris Beale.

Michen

Visit site
So many places inc Eastleach (Cotswolds), Top Barn (for horses, we b and b'd elsewhere), Hornton House, two places in Devon I need to find the name of, Sandhole Cottages in Cheshire..there's more but struggling to remember at the moment!

And Booked into Brandy house for October.

Michen

Visit site
To Felindre with Medina Brock? It's absolutely wonderful! I was just about one of her first guests with horses and we had an absolute ball. You'll love it! God I am so jealous!

Yes the very same :) We were going to go in July put pushed it to October. 3 horses and 2 dogs!

TRECtastic

Visit site
We are going to brandy house next month, stopping in one of the cottages.
We have also stopped in the pods when just two of us went
You can ride to the pub in the next village, which had tie up rail in the car park.
We also did a longer ride up onto the kerry ridgeway
Plus there is all the open access mountains behind brandy House